Recommendations for Nutes?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by steveo9218, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Hi Peeps,

I've had a few successful grows now growing blue cheese with using just bioBizz nutes, i wasn't getting a big yield, averaging 1.4 oz per plant vegging for 6 weeks, flowering under 600watt hps.

I wasn't totally happy with the yields so i did a bit of digging and heard that big bud and overdrive were good additives so i did a couple of grows with those on rop of the bio bizz nutes, the buds were a lot bigger physically but i only yielded 1.74 oz per plant.
    I have been cropping some of the lower foliage off making it easeir when it comes to harvesting.

My temps are around 24-25 degrees celcius and air circulation is all set up correctly.
    i am using biobizz all mix soil in 9ltr buckets.

Does anyone have any recommendations please, i dont wanna end up going through hundreds of £ worth of nutes just for the sake of trying everything out there.

Your input would be greatly apreciated.
    ;)

2. #2 Jellyman, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
    The pots may be on the small size, depending on their shape and flowering time. Check the roots after harvest to make sure no binding was starting to occur. Even mild root binding can easily decrease yield.

Are you getting any necrosis or yellowing on the leaves during late flowering? If so, you may need to use stronger fertilizer concentrations. The plants need more food as the buds get bigger so fertilizer concentration should steadily increase, especially in the second half of flowering.

Make sure the bulb isn't old, as they lose their intensity with use, and spaced properly from the plants.

Make use of topping and possibly LST to increase yields.

Fan leaves process food. Don't remove any unless they're shading major budsites- even then do it sparingly.

For maximum potency and yield per plant, use the 600w in a space no larger than 3.5x3.5'. Use reflective material to minimize light loss.

edit: Personally, I prefer to use home-brewed organic teas for fertilizing. Bat & Seabird Guanos, Bone & Kelp Meals, as well as high-Potassium ash can all be used in tea recipes, making what can be the best fertilizers your plants can get.

3. #3 RO76, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
    Try Technaflora starter kit. It is simple to use , comes with everything to support your grow (2-3plants ) from the start to finish . It comes with feeding schedule as well so you do not have to guess . On my first grow I got 10oz of 2 plants under 600w hid in RDWC in 3x3x6 grow tent ( 30 days of vegg ). Just start with about 400ppm ( 1/3 of the recommended dosage ) and the go up by 150ppm every week .Oh and I kept my reflector 10"-12" away from the canopy . ****Correction , it was DWC system .

4. i use GH FloraDuo grow & Bloom & diamond nectar by GH , no need for anything else, i am very happy with them.
    see for yourself below.
    middy

5. I got the same recommendation from RO76, and I bought that kit.. It's phenomenal!!

6. Using a Fox Farm/Advanced Nutrients combo (for soil) here...no complaints!

What strain are you propagating? Find one that is a big yielder...some strains just dont yield alot of green.

GL

7. bigger pots.........i prefer botincare products for soil and u can always use fox farms.....i hear good stuff about canna but never tried

8. FF wasn't an option for me.. 50$ for the 8oz trio.. forget that!

9. Growing is not cheap..cheap people see cheap results IMHO.

A few around say you can get away with being a tight $%^ but I am not one of those people...

I have helped a few get going and was no issue when dropping 6 hundy on a light, ballast, and hood...but then when we got to the food section he wanted to buy the 5.99 junk, lol...baffles me.

10. try using advanced nutes trio or sensi and see if they are different

or try a different watering schedule

11. I found the Techanflora starter kit locally for 45$ which is a decent price.. mind you these are like 1L bottles though and it has the food chart and shit too.

I knew coming into this that it would be expensive, I think I'm sitting around 250 - 300$ so far for everything except soil. (lights, seeds, nutes, etc)

Found a wicked deal on a 4x4x6 grow tent that I'm going to buy soon 100$ ;)

12. #12 chef423, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2012
    Im getting my sh&t going again and I have $1700 into it all and I still need to add about $1500 to make it complete...and this is 1 400w mH mother light and a 600w HPS...but I go all out, Vortex inlines...carbon filter...controller...CO2....A/C-Dehumidify, high end fans, full newt line, Truncheon BlueLab EC wand, BlueLab pH meter, etc, etc...

Add all that up, lol....plus bags upon bags of my compost, etc...Panda Film, building materials..etc

See what I mean?

13. Your per plant averages don't give us enough insight. 1.4 ounces per plant, or about 30 to 32 grams, is a fine number if you're growing 16 plants in a 4x4 area. That'd be maybe 500 grams per harvest on a 600w lamp, a good job.

Genetics are the first thing. Lighting is the second. Atmosphere third. Nutrition delivery fourth. Nutrient program last.

1. If the strain selected cannot be changed then you cannot improve this factor.
    2. If you are not open to the idea of more lighting then the options here are enhanced spectrum bulbs and vertical mounting of the light for maximum efficiency. More PAR is going to result in a larger plant but a vertical arrangement can increase your effectively illuminated area by 140%. Going from a "flat top" grow to more of a "silo" style will improve your final grams per day if only by increasing your effective growing area and allowing for more plants (or less popcorn).
    3. If you cannot enrich your environment with 1000 to 1100 extra ppm of CO2 then work hard to maintain consistent temperatures between 75.6 and 76.5 for the light and the dark period.
    4. The methods with the most rapid growth rates and direct nutrient delivery will have the best results. The heaviest harvesting plants I have seen came from undercurrent MPB buckets, like rDWC except in 18 gallon totes. I am also a believer in the top feed DTW hydro systems like the hempy buckets, or with a Rockwool cubes and hydroton mix. I personally use an organic coco-hempy.
    5. If yield is the most important factor then what I would run is Botanicare CNS 17 grow, bloom, and ripe as my primary nutrient program for the appropriate stages of growth. Additives to include are:
    DynaGrow ProTekt or ProSilicate - silicon fortifies cell walls improving health and fiber strength. It will directly result in heavier harvests and a better smoke.
    Botanicare Hydroplex - 0-10-6 bloom enhancer. Affordable and effective.
    Advanced Nutrients Big Bud dry - another bloom enhanced but potassium dominant. Something like a 1-18-38.
    Dutch Master Liquid Light Gold foliar program - activates metabolic processes that improves respiration and photosynthetic rates.

Big yields start with big roots. Ensure you have a very large and healthy root system before initiating flowering. Do not transplant right before the switch. Your plant should be well rooted and it will hit budding with vigor if she is. Including a quality root product, like hygrozyme or Cutting Edge Solutions GRex and TRex, will make a big difference at the end of the day.

Above all else, plant stress must be controlled. The more they are lifted and turned and jostled the worse they will do. Once they are set for budding leave them be and let nature do its thing. Be there with the right nutrition at the right time and you'll be set to maximize your genetic potential in a given grow space with a limited amount of light energy.

14. Hiya peeps,

Thank you to everyone who replied, sorry for the late reply, i have been taking all of your advice in and researching.

I am going to use bigger pots and adjust my feeding schedule on each grow to determine the best outcome.

Before i go changing the nutes or adding anything else im going to get the absolute best out of what i have and then progress onto something else with a little change each time.

1 addative which has been recommended to me a couple of times is Bud Link to help protect the plant and build up better branches and budding sites, i will try this on the next grow.

Thanks again everyone, been helpful as always.
    :smoke:

15. I totally agree with SCMC. They are no magic nutes. All of them will pretty much do the same thing. Yield depends on ventilation, lighting, water, medium, temperatures a lot more than the brand of nutes you use or some additive or other. There is no way to analyze why you are getting those yields unless you provide a lot more info, like lighting, pot size, how many plants in what space, medium, ventilation setup, how often you have been feeding and exactly what, etc.