Recommendations for first indoor grow.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Highbinder, Dec 2, 2012.

1. #1 Highbinder, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2012
    So I've never had the opportunity to indoors before, but now I am in a country where MJ is decriminalized and I have a house with a spare room begging to be put to use. I'd like some recommendations on lighting though, ideally I'd prefer to drop a bit of cash and do it right.

I have about 3m squared to work with, I have already sorted out ventilation. Going to build a small seperation to house the cuttings and keep them seperated from the main crop. I'd like to be able to grow 4 to 8 plants per rotation.

So I'm thinking a flurescent light and then an HPS and ballast should be everything I need? What kind of wattage will I need? Basicly I have no clue what direction to take here! Help blades :)

I was thinking maybe a 600w, but two 400w might be more flexible.

If I went with MI instead of HPS would advantes would that bring? From what I've read they have a better repuation for a no-natural-light grow. What I was thinking was the full spectrum flu' should be good for them for the first two weeks or so and then the HPS can take over for the remainder of each grow, will this work?

Also I'm in the EU, so, best online suppliers?

2. Buds grown under MH lights IMO taste better than a bud grown under a HPS. That being said the bulbs were Eye Blue bulbs, which are the most expensive bulbs out there. I think a 600w may be a tad bit too small for your room. Two 400s i think would be better. Plus the light is more evenly distributed.

I would try to split the room into two and have a seperate area for veg/flower. That can easily be done with some panda film stapled to the wall. If you did that you could have a constant flow of bud coming out of there. Rather than having to harvest everything at once. You also wouldn't need to make a seperate cloning area.

3. Okay looks like I'm going to have to move the grow to another area in the house. Slightly smaller space, about 6ft by 6ft by 10ft, with a secondary area 5ft by 1ft by 4ft. But no natural ventilation at all. I've thoroughly confused myself as to which direction to take with lights. These seem to be the most viable options:

A T5 setup using 216watt 4x4' tube fixture, to take the plants through veg, and also through bloom with the addition of supplimentary vertical T5 tubes.

OR..

A smaller T5 rack for vegging, and then switching onto a 400 or 600 HPS light, with or without the fluros during bloom.

Or..

Found a good deal on a dual spectrum 600W HID complete.

If I go with an HID I think I'll need a hood extractor as well as another extractor mounted in the door to pull air out of the grow room. The reason I'm considering fl lights is because it gets seriously hot here in the summer and I'd like to grow all year round.

Fack I just don't know.. Guys! Considering the space I have and assuming I'd like a 4+ plant grow (I'd like a 500g minimum yield from the space I have) what do you think?

4. Use the smaller room for veg and the bigger for flowering. The flower room should be lit with HID lighting if possible. To get 500g you will need 600w of light. The goal alot of people try to get is 1g/watt and that is usually somewhat of a good guess as to what you will get. You may need 2 600w lights because a 600w covers about a 3x3 to a 4x4 area. Having ventilation issues makes it hard though. I would not use a 1000w because they are hot as hell. You could run a completely air tight room and cool it with an air conditioner and supplement bottled co2.

For vegging plants t5 lights are good enough. More light = faster growth, to a point. You could even use cheap t8 or t12 shop lights if you wanted to. But if you can't get enough ventilation through either room then you can't do anything. Plants absolutely need co2