Recommend a workout for a newbie?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by teeheeterror, Apr 17, 2012.

1. I'm 120 lbs and 5'7" and 19 years old, fairly small in stature.
    I've been running for the past couple weeks but I want to start building muscle so I don't look like a stick. I don't want too big of a build but I want to be fairly cut.
    What exercises would you recommend and in what number of sets/reps?
    And try to avoid barbell exercises unless necessary. Most of the time I won't have someone to spot me.

Oh, and my friend told me more reps+lighter weights equates to building more muscle, whereas heavier weights+less reps equates to strength building. Is this true?

2. got the reps and weight backwards

3. Less weight + more reps = cut

More weight + less reps = built

Personally i'm skinny as fuck like you OP (6'5" 190) and am going for a more cut physique.

4. Buffalo has the idea right there.

More Reps x Less Weight = Muscular Endurance (Cut)

Less Reps x More Weight = Muscular Strength (Built)

We need more details. Do you have access to a gym?

Basic Workout for a 3 Day Rotation:

1) Biceps and Back
    2) Legs and Abs
    3) Chest, Triceps and Shoulders

Again, we need to know if you have a gym with weights and etc. :)

5. Yes I do.
    I have access to a free gym on campus.
    It's fairly small but I went on a Monday at around 6 o clock and it was half-packed. As in there's always at least 2 benches open and about 2/3 of the machines are not occupied most of the time. Of course there's also running machines but I run on the track instead.

6. You're really going to be cheating yourself if you don't do barbell lifts. You only need a spot for bench press anyways. You can do squats, deadlifts, and military press without one.

7. [quote name='"TheOldReliable"']

Basic Workout for a 3 Day Rotation:

1) Biceps and Back
    2) Legs and Abs
    3) Chest, Triceps and Shoulders

Again, we need to know if you have a gym with weights and etc. :)[/quote]

I like that rotation, never thought about doing it in that order.

Is there any disadvantage to doing bicep/triceps/back/shoulder/chest all in one day? And then on my off days I just do abs and legs? Does your way give your muscles more of a chance to recover cus of the two day break?

8. Try out riptoes SS program. Learn all your basic compound lifts and you will see gains. Don't be afraid or intimidated by these lifts.

Also make sure your diet is in check and that your eating enough. Work smarter not harder OP!

Checkout bodybuilding.com for info in their forums. Great info.