Recent UV research

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Cancannacure, Jul 30, 2019.

1. #1 Cancannacure, Jul 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
    Heyas
    If you using or considering to use UV, I recommend checking out this webinar given by Dr. Peter Barber from SETi-Seoul. He talks about the research they've been doing with USDA and others. Gives a solid review of previous knowledge and talks about current and future experiments. Of Note:
    • using UV pre and post harvest with different protocols.
    • UV Wavelength focus on 295nm - getting best results for them.
      • Would love to see data on strains with cannabinoid and terpene changes with different nm
    • THC increased but not as significant to changes of terpenes and mainly CBG
    • at 38:00 He starts talking about their control using a light curtain, and I'm thinking hopefully it actually blocked the UV rays unlike another experiment referenced often that later come to find out data was tainted since curtain actually allowed UV through.
    • disappointing not seeing any data on 11-Hydroxy-THC... I prefer to eat my medicine
    • still absorbing, see screenshots
    • See the UV Treatment Example pic for good reference to UV dosing
    Info starts at around 5:20 in.
    *EDIT Helps if I actually linked the webinar...

Webinar: Next Evolution in Horticulture Lighting - 1243067

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Nice post

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Interesting information but always take it with a grain of salt when being presented for sales purposes

What I found most interesting is the fact that NO UV under LED is better than some UV under HPS in some areas of terpene production.

Presented by:

[​IMG]

Dr. Peter Barber
    Director of North America UV Sales
    SETi-Seoul Semi

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Due to the more complete spectrum promoting more functions period. Adding UV just adds to the picture. My opinion of course from all my readings.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Good Point. Could be why my product improved after adding the 4300k CMH alongside 2700k LED. added blues and UV.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hey nice thread. I just noticed that Migro posted a video on UV lamps

• Like Like x 1
  7. Peter is the man! I do some work for a company that builds UVB+A+VIS multi-channel, dimmable lighting instruments for photomorphogenesis. They're involved with UV / Cannabis research at the University of Ryerson in Toronto. The link below pretty much says the same thing as this post but it's less technical, there's more results, a few more points about UVA, and there are some pages about the effects of UVB+A on mold and insects. We can't actually share the light recipes because they belong to our test LPs.

UVR8 Chemical Profile Shaping in Cannabis — AgricUltra™ Advancements

I totally understand you will be skeptical of the link above so if you want to learn more about UV and plants on a site that is purely academic, check out UV4Plants Association . There's no research on Cannabis for obvious reasons but the UVR8 pathway isn't only in Cannabis so hopefully this will help give you a perspective that is non-bias.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I use 2x 32w Solacure UVA/B bulbs per 1000w Hortilux HPS, and Gavita 1700e.
    Theyre the most powerful bulb there is at 285nm. They also have some really expensive glass, and the bulbs have a built in reflector.
    Been using them 2 years. Have them on 8 hours a day from seedling-flowering at 24 inches. At 20 inches they will run 6 hours a day.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 Janzo, Dec 31, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    Nice set up! Are you running UVB and A at the same time? Those lenses are pretty cool. Glass blocks UV so higher end lights use quartz which almost has 100% transmission. I'd guess that's what you're working with.

10. Yes the bulb is both UVA/B and is very powerful all the way down to 280nm.

I believe the Flower Power bulb is around 34% UVB, and 66% UVA.

• Like Like x 1