Recent popularity of libertarianism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maurice, Aug 25, 2011.

1. do you think it's a legitimate move in our political tendencies or a passing fad among the youth of this decade?

2. I think it'll be lasting. Over the last few decades we've let our country stray away from freedom, especially in recent years. The people are realizing this, and we're waking up to it. Hopefully this will last for a while.

3. It's good to know each year more people understand our 2 party system is broken.

More of us look for new answers lets just hope everyone does the right thing for their country!

4. I see a lot of people becoming libertarianish. For some reason they latch onto certain aspects of it while ignoring others. So, you get a bunch of people who identify with libertarian buzzwords yet ignore key concepts like the non-aggression principle (i.e. fight wars only after being attacked). As it stands, we have a bunch of neocons who support our aggressive domestic policy yet talk as if they are libertarians. Hopefully time and education will make people more consistent, but I doubt that highly.

5. i think it will be lasting because the circumstances that caused the rise are only going to get worse. people are starting to see that liberalism doesnt work in the U.S., and at the same time theyre seeing that the republicans dont have much of a better plan. at the same time, all ron pauls predictions are coming true and theres a growing wing of the republican party with libertarian tendencies. as our out of control spending catches up with us, i expect many more will join the libertarian bandwagon. but then again its also possible that obama will cut another 1% off the deficit and everyone will go back to loving him and calling ron paul a crazy radical

6. Legitimate move for many if not most.

7. fuck the 'ism' mentality...:mad:

"We The People" should be the one, the only, political party allowed in the USA.:cool:

Those wanting to use 'ism' or other separatist mentalities, should be shown the border, and told to not let the door hit'em in the ass when it closes...:mad:

8. Its the new cool thing on the internet. Sure, people aren't just saying they are libertarian, they actually hold these ideals. But, if it was popular enough, ron paul would run with the libertarian party, not the republican party. He'd have to change his abortion stance though.

9. If that's true...then RP would just be another bullshitting scum bag in DC...that waffles and flip flops on topics to fit the current 'confusion' of the peoples minds...While I detest ALL political party members, some individuals are close to being independent in their expressed ideals.

Why can't a politicians have thier own opinions and ideals...and We The People decide if he/she is worthy of our vote based on that politicians own thoughts, opinions, history, and ideals vs some bullshit partisan party concept that has the axiom of 'be one of us or you're the enemy':confused::confused::confused:

10. Because to rise to the top and to gain power, you must conform and vote the way you are expected to. No majority leader in the house or senate will ever give you political power or respect so as long as you continue to develop views separate from the party and from what the party leaders want.

Everyone wants to suckle at the teet of power to get the position head of this committee, or head of that bureaucracy. It's the reason Ron Paul has been in Congress for like 10 terms, yet only serves a leadership role on ONE minor SUBcommittee. Everybody else with his seniority has led like 5 major committees, been involved closely with the executive branch and the departments, etc, etc.

I don't think the recent popularity of libertarianism is due to the strength of the party. It's really just more about the message of limited government, individual liberties, and economic conservatism. Right now, the party name couldn't matter less. As long as the ideas and the beliefs are there, our generation will do just fine.

11. conform to the party, kiss the ass of those above you, submit to the corruption and become a part of it...and how does that correct/fix/change the problem that conforming to the party creates...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

12. all parties are the problem. even the libertarian saviors.

we should vote on personal agendas, not party agendas. there should be no list anywhere for people to go and look up to decide what they believe or want to vote for. there should be no organization they feel a need to be loyal to.

good ideas exist in almost every political ideology. demonizing or worshiping specific ones only distracts us from making responsible choices.

that being said, breaking the party system will probably be painful but is probably a step in the right direction in the long run.