Rear ended on a major interstate :( what to do?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by BA, Jul 29, 2010.

1. #1 BA, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2010
    Keep your assumptions to yourself before you read, FOR THE LAST TIME I AM NOT TRYING TO GET FREE MONEY OR A HANDOUT.

I'll try to keep this brief, I just need some advice.

Yesterday was a normal day, I was just driving home from work when I ran into the usual rush hour traffic on i5 around 4:30. (I cruise in a 2007 VW GTI that I recently just traded my truck in for. I'm in love with the car!) Anyways.... Usually I roll in cruise control for a solid 30 minutes before i hit the traffic, and this day was no different. I consider myself to be a very good driver...but even the best drivers get fucked in the ass sometimes.

I'm only 19, and this is my first accident ever! not even a fender bender. Generally, I put 20-25 thousand miles a year on my car, which is a lot for a kid my age...i've put roughly 80k miles on two cars since I got my license. Enough defending myself, here's the story broken down.

As I leave work, I jump on i5 and head north towards my house. about 20 minutes into the trip, i notice a bmw 328i DIPPIN from about 1/4 to 1/2 mile away. for the next 20 minutes or so I'm in the far left lane doin about 75 (speed limit is 70) and this car will not stop tail gating me. I get to Olympia and she is STILL behind me. This bitch is so close going 65-70 mph. Another 5 minutes pass and I hit traffic in the far left lane. Being an aware driver, I see this, turn off my cruise control, push in the clutch and start to gently brake. I am literally crawling to a stop when i look in the rear view mirror to see a silver bmw 328i coming at me from about 20 feet away, at approximately 40 mph :mad:

My first thought....well I just screamed fuck real loud. Second, I turn around expecting to see my back windshield shattered, but when i turn around it's in tact. Third, I've always hated people who hold up traffic, for any reason. So i cruise across 4 lanes of traffic where there is a shoulder big enough to park. I hop out of my car to assess the damage that i assume is going to be bad, hell i was rear ended at 40+ mph :smoking:

To my disbelief, there was only a few scatches and a dent in the plastic lining on the underside/bottom of the bumper that i easily popped out. So i'm feeling pretty good because I know I'm at no fault and my car is barely damaged. Now i see the lady behind me start to drive and she pulls over behind my car. She gets out and is just BAWLING her eyes out and repeating the phrase, "im so sorry," very very quickly. She immediately admits to fault and grabs her insurance info. I like to think of myself as a pretty chill guy, so even though im pissed i play it cool cause things are already goin bad enough for her. Her front end was smashed in. Her hood was about half the size and crushed like a soda can. She can't even believe she hit me because my car looked like somebody maybe ran into in on a bicycle. It makes no sense, but god must have been lookin out for me. We exchange info and she said her husband was coming to pick her up, so I could just go and we'd figure stuff out over the phone. Anyways, I get back in my car in a state of shock. me and my car made it through a somewhat of a major collision virtually unharmed. I have come to the conclusion that she hit me so perfectly (literally dead center of my rear bumper) that my gti properly absorbed and distributed the shock resulting in less damage.

The bittersweet part is that I didn't know whiplash could be delayed, like people don't always express symptoms immediately. After I got hit till i went to bed i couldn't believe i wasn't in any pain from the crash! but....i woke up this morning with a really stiff neck, sharp pains in my shoulders and wrists, a bad headache, and shooting pains down my spine every now and then.

My dad already contacted my insurance agent and I talked to the lady that hit me. Her insurance is going to cover the costs of repairing the car, a rental car for when mine is in the shop, and any medical costs.

My question for you blades is what should I do? What i posted above is a given, but what about compensation? or a settlement? I'm not trying to be a douche and milk her for money but she did blatantly rear end me, and im pretty sure i have a kinda bad case of whiplash. I might miss work because of medical reasons or whatnot.

/thread

sparkin' this white owl for all you blades out there :smoking:

2. Dude if you actually have whiplash, you need to say something. She was clearly in the wrong and she needs to cover everything that happened. Just speak up let your lawyer know so he can do all the paperwork to make sure that if you miss work, you can get some compensation.

3. Yea, it's not even about coming off as a douche, it's about protecting yourself. On a side note whenever you get into an accident, if it's on paper insurance companies bend over backwards to make sure that you get your car fixed asap.

4. #4 weedhead420, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2010
    I read your whole sotry...stop being a little bi*tch and be a fucking man. Instead of being happy you and your car substained LITTLE DAMAGE you are looking for a fucking handout

you are fine....you know you are fine but the thought of getting some money out of someone is causing you to act hurt

people like you make me fucking sick... "I can't go to work because I got wiplash"

that is bullshit....and don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about because I have been in accidents way worse than that

You know what....Go ahead and try to get a settlement, karma will catch back up with you at the next accident and this time it won't be so kind

Name-calling and disrepect are not tolerated here. ~AK~

5. thanks for the replies guys.

I'd like to say first that we've already talked and we are for sure getting my car and any medical bills covered by her insurance. That is already a given, what i'm confused about it a settlement or any other money i would receive. Let me put it this way, do i have to take it to court or get a lawyer? I know i've had a few friends get in crashes as well and they received checks for missing work/school etc...

The most important thing is i only have minor injuries (even if it is painful :mad: it'll go away), and that my car and medical bills will be covered. I was just concerned about any other money floating around.

6. #6 weedhead420, Jul 29, 2010

even you are saying the injuries are minor but yet you NEED to miss work/school ..... So tell me why you can't go to school?

You are obviously just looking for a handout.... medical bills??????

The only medical bill you should have is if you need a colonoscopy...because you are full of shit

Remember to read the rules about member conduct, you're response was completely out of line. ~AK~

7. dude if u sue the process will take 2-5 years to go through.

i got attacked by a dog when i was 10 and needed like 15 stitches in my nose and my dad is kind of a dick and sued even though i didnt want him to. shit didn't get resolved til i was 15.

if u actually have serious injuries thats one thing, but don't go to court over minor shit, thats just fucked up. she's already paying for all that shit

8. If you are injured can't you get a prescription for physiotherapy from your doctor and have the insurance pay for it?

9. I might have missed it but when did you get medically checked out?

10. Bro, get out of here with your bull.

You know nothing of OP's medical condition. For all you know, he could have internal bleeding. I'm not saying he does, but it just shows that you can never know for sure.

How do you know he hasn't actually sustained injuries? Believe it or not bro, whiplash IS real.
    So get out of here with all the hate... damn.

And he NEVER said that he needed to miss work. So either comprehend or get off the thread.

11. Yesterday in another thread you told someone to drive without insurance.........and now you are telling ME this crap... You might be the biggest idiot ever

12. #12 weedhead420, Jul 29, 2010
    "Not neccessarily. Maybe his parents wont let him get his license because they don't want to pay for insurance and stuff.

But I say just get your license behind their back and drive uninsured. "

here is the comment you posted you retard...and now you are trying to give me advice

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You've been here longer than I have brother, you should know by now that name-calling is not tolerated. ~AK~

13. Attack the argument not the person :p

14. Yeah? So? I don't see contradictory posts pal...

I see that both drivers in this case had insurance, and my suggestion was for him to act accordingly.

BTW, care to refute any of the points I made against you? Or are you too stubborn for that..

And are you purely on Grasscity to spread hate?

15. LOL oh man this is good...and atleast im not here to see how many posts I can get in a month

16. Did he say he needed to miss work? No, he did not. He said he might miss work. No where did he definitively say that he was in fact GOING to miss work. Anyways, get out of here, and I'll do the same. he made the thread asking for help, and out of all your posts, you gave him NONE.

edit:
    yeah you're not.. your here to brag about owning a roor.

17. damn did you two scissor eachother on a beach?

sounds like a case of sandy vaginas. stop bickering

18. #18 weedhead420, Jul 29, 2010
    whatever man..there is no point in even arguing with people like you

you are deprived of all normal morals and logic... You tell people to drive without insurance, but then tell people to sue insurance companies for all they are worth

this is whats wrong with the world....less and less people these days are driving with insurance, but then when someone does get hit they sue for every fucking nickel they can get.

this in turn means the insurance companies are MAKING LESS and PAYING OUT MORE...and do you know what that means. It means people like me keep having to pay more and more and more because idiots like you are ruining the system.

You will never understand what im talking about because your spineless parents probably brought you up that a way..the only form of redemption that I get out of it is that I know deep down people like you will get what is coming to them.

What if the OP got hit by the same kid you told to drive without insurance...what kind of advice would you give then?

I understand that there are situations where people are seriously hurt and I fully understand reaching a settelment...this is not one of those situations though. The OP even said himself that he substained minor injuries

You are right "idon'tsmokeblunt" about wiplash...it is real. I personally believe though that wiplash is not as bad as everyone says..it is merely something people can say to get money 99% of the time.

Thanks to those who have given rep...its good to see that some people can still see a fabricated lie when they see it

19. What I'm seeing here is a a crash where someone got nothing, rightfully or not and someone getting somthing rightfully or not.

I anit taking taking, but to the guy in the crash, do you really need that comp and the guy who seems bitter, do you really deserve comp?

20. You are exaggerating way too much.. Explain to me where I said sue them for every nickel they're worth..
    He wants compensation for inconvenience. The lady was clearly in the wrong, but he still had to go through getting in a wreck, take time out of his days to deal with stuff pertaining to the wreck.. it's inconvenience. He never said he wanted to milk her for every nickel, he actually stated the opposite. And I only said get compensation for what you think is right due to inconvenience.. and whip lash.

You insult too much also. You spread the hate. But they way you're talking, you sound like a good conservative. Which is good, as old fashioned conservatives are being pushed out nowadays.