Really?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by burntoutd, Sep 18, 2008.

1. OK, it will cost you nothing to try it out, but I am deeply sceptical that it works.

I have read so many other ´methods´ of making sure plants grow female:

Snip a cotyledon in two
    Plant in deep containers
    Give them birth control pills
    Give them 24 hour light
    Raise the temperature
    And probably others I have forgotten.

I have yet to read any serious research that would uphold any of the methods - but the only thing they have in common is that half the time they work !

The sellers of feminised seeds do business for one good reason.

2. I linked you to some serious research in another thread.

3. #4 cantharis, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008

You did - the paper Hemp Husbandry by R. Nelson, which I have found very interesting. He only referred briefly to work done by others on improving the sexual expression of cannabis, but it was really anecdotal information, no relevant statistical information was produced.
    Any specific work on this must be shown to be statistically significant. Haven´t seen that yet.

It can be enormously time consuming. For instance, suppose I germinate and grow on 20 cannabis seeds as a control and get 10 females. Now I do the same with 20 seeds exposed to an unripe banana, and get 11 females. Hey I´ve got 10% more females it must work, yes? Well no, because that could easily be just by chance. You would have to repeat those results an awful lot of times before it becomes statistically significant, ie a proper analysis of results shows a high probability, that the banana does work. Takes a lot of seeds.

So I am VERY wary of anyone who says I did such and such and got 10% more females. Even more so if he is referring to someone else´s work.

4. someone email Mythbusters ;)

5. haha yea som1 should

6. I'm still pretty confidant you can't change the genetics of the plant or seed very easily. Could be wrong though.

7. Agree with you there, mels. As I said earlier, the people who make a lot of money out of feminised seeds do it for a reason.

8. i allways thought a seeds sex was decided by the x and y chromosomes upon pollonation. otherwise what would be point of a feminised seed , if infact it was down to the growing conditions etc that decided what sex the seed would be . that would mean if someone bought a fem seed but planted it in conditions that suited a male then the seed would change it chromosomes and turn out a male. i cant see it myself and like the guy above said im yet to see /read any real evidence .

9. Yeah I know its not a fact, well I'm gonna give this a go. I have nine plants and I'll keep you guys posted on how many turn out to be female.

10. This is the theory that has no scientific evidence. Throw that out and rethink it.

Peace

11. Only cost you pennies to try it out - and you can eat the banana when it ripens!! Good luck. I will be interested to read your results.

Last year I planted 12 seeds, one was a dud, got 7 females and 4 males.
    Couple of years before, planted 10 seeds, got 7 males and 3 females.
    So my luck has been very variable.