Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Really worried

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by eish, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Hey guys, this has happened to me more than once now and it's starting to freak me out. Recently when smoking (my tolerance is extremely low now) i've been getting severe heart palpitations (super fast heart beat). I literally feel like I'm going to pass out and die and very often i get intense shivers too. The other night i literally felt like calling an ambulance. It feels like i'm constantly going to pass out from lack of oxygen and I shake uncontrollably whilst having a strong pulsing sensation in my throat. This is no game and it's extremely scary shit when it's happening. I thought I might be having a heart attack when it occurred at first.

Wtf is wrong with me? :(

2. Anxiety Attacks, how much are you smoking man? try reducing the amount you smoke and slowly increase it as your tolerance goes up.

3. #3 bluntisblunt, Jun 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2012
    youre a puss maguss when it comes to smoking.

this girl smoked with me and she bugged the fuck out and was like " ZOMG MY HEART IS BEATING FAST, GO GETCHUR MOM" how bout stfu and lay down and stop tryin to ruin everything you asshowe..
    unless you have serious heart conditions, a fast beating heart wont kill you..

if youre going to freak the fuck out then stop smoking cause its really irritating when people obsess over fast heart beats..

btw it beats fast because after smoking your heart wants oxygen and not smoke..

0 tolerance for disrespect here in the city...
    ~YODA

4. Well, I can tell you this much....You are describing the SYMPTOMS of a panic attack brought on by the unfamiliarity of acid reflux. The good thing is that it's very likely NOT your heart. It's likely that it IS esophageal acid reflux.

The nerve which carries the same signals of a heart attack -the vagus nerve- get's stimulated due to acid that suddenly jumps out of the top of your stomach and into your esophagus. When the acid hits the nerve, it feels like your heart suddenly jumps. And then what happens next is that you THINK you're having a heart attack; Being high enhances that thought because you start focusing on it and it begins a snowball effect that makes you start hyperventilating and sweating.

So, before you call an ambulance, take note of a couple of things like:

Do you drink coffee or any kinds of those energy drinks like Red Bull, Monster, etc.? Do you smoke cigarettes or chew tobacco?
    Do you eat fried foods and spicy foods/non-healthy food a lot?
    Do you eat late at night and then go to sleep right after eating?
    Is the feeling worse when you are lying down?

but, really...I am no doctor. It just sounds familiar.

5. A lot of people have the same reaction when they first start smoking (low tolerence). I used to be the same but your paranoia will die down.

6. I don't understand why people smoke so much to the point where they're paranoid when they are semi new to smoking? Just stop doing that and you'll be fine. next time smoke a little less...

7. Don't be a fucktard bluntisblunt, I've been smoking for about 3 years and I took a year gap recently, starting again only now. And yeah I do smoke cigarettes. Could this have been caused by smoking a bong with tobacco in it?

8. #8 frankenfish, Jun 7, 2012
    yes...nicotine will give you all the symptoms you described. why would you ever smoke tobacco out of a bong unless you felt like puking?

9. I'm sure its possible Seems to me you may have had a panic attack, maybe try smaller doses further apart. good luck mate

10. #10 Gryphonics, Jun 7, 2012
    It's all in your head man, you're jut scaring yourself you fool.

Name calling is not tolerated..
    Please keep remarks like this to yourself.
    ~YODA

11. What is with all the fucking disrespect on here lately?

There's no need to call him a "fool" for asking a damn question, for fucks sake. :rolleyes:

OP, do you ever experience heart palpitations or any heart problems at all when you're sober? Because if it's at all possible that the weed is exacerbating an existing heart problem, then it would be wise to see a doctor.

You mentioned smoking a bong with tobacco in it. Does this happen when you smoke a bowl without tobacco in it?

It could be a lot of things. Could be a pre-existing condition, could be anxiety, could be that you're getting too high, could be what tstick mentioned, could be from trying to bong tobacco.

12. I know, right?

OP - You smoke tobacco both with and without weed.
    I'd say this is at least a factor in play.
    Try smoking green.

Like someone else said too you could always just get a doc to have a listen.

Good luck with it.

13. don't smoke so much at once :p

14. Yeah wtf, why are people so disrespectful. I can't stand that when people are just trying to ask a question. Not everybody has the same level experience, the reason for a forum is for people to have discussion about a wide variety of topics, not to shit on them because they seem inexperienced.

As to answer your question OP. Just smoke a little less next time. Maybe 1 or 2 hits and wait 10 minutes to see how you feel. If you want more then smoke more.

Check out the guide in my signature! Hopefully it can help you out :smoke:

15. Same experience.
    Not sure what causes it, but some people can't smoke for many months once they get this.

16. This happens to me pretty often, and at least when it happens to me it feels exactly like the feeling of having too much nicotine (damn you chewing tobacco). To deal with it i try to relax and tell myself i'm just high, it usually subsides within a few minutes. Really the best way to deal with it is to educate yourself about weed, so you now exactly why its not caused by the weed and its just your imagination.

17. Thanks a lot for the helpful answers guys :p to elaborate : this has happened before but each of the times the bowl had tobacco in it (my friends always do this for some reason and I hate it). It has happened before when I was sober but I smoked a lot of cigarettes that day (at least 5 more than I usually smoke per day). Another thing to mention might be that the first bong was a dry bong cause I forgot to fill it. I think I might have just smoked too much for my bodies tolerance to handle and I got a little panic attack or something and with the added tobacco it just made it worse. As for smoking cigarettes - I'm quitting in ~2 weeks.

:) cheers

18. Good luck on quitting smoking man, you can do it as long as you keep your willpower about you - trying to not BUY any cigs is most of the battle won though.

Sounds like you have your answer though...or you're at least on the right path.
    See how you go without the cigs/tobacco mixed in, monitor how you feel - that might be all that's needed for the problem to solve itself.

19. i had that during my first high. just chill out and enjoy yourself.

20. I'm a daily smoker and have been for a long time. I used to get these even before I started smoking. I saw a DR and they hooked a machine to me for a month. It told them that I was having panic attacks. I don't feel panicky but what do I know right.

I would not worry about it too much. Mine would last less then 60 secs normally while I was sitting watching TV or at my desk. Just try to relax and let it pass.

But just a side note here, I never blindly accept advice about my health or the law from Stoners. Just a thought.