Really what is the point of a perc?

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories Q&A' started by AuZy_BudZ, Feb 20, 2010.

1. imho. A diffuser is all you need, but give me some reasons why you would want them

and

can you can even buy them and throw them in high end bongs?

I can't really see them cooling the smoke all that much more. The splash guards look useful and thats about all I know.

2. yeah I know it is somewhat like a coffee pot but how does it really help with smoking? I don't think you would get nearly as lifted. Thats why they are not as super popular as they could be I bet. And how expensive they are ovb. I mean Why more flirtation? Would you be losing more thc?

3. you lose minimal thc; thc is not water soluble.

a perc simply adds to the smoothness of the hit, at a cost of what many would call taste. percs make larger hits easier to manage. i.e. its possible to take gram bowls with high end, multiple perc'd tubes.

And yes you can buy them. they are 55mm or 45mm joints, called big joints. toro makes a series that is a bigjoint with a simple natural perc. there are also bubblers with removable downstems, where one can have a circ, trees, or various other types of percs.

4. this.

percs are sick but there harder to clean, especially if theres 3. i reccomend one, but only if your buying high end, none high end percs suck IMO, theres just not...perfect? i dunno...

5. i honestly prefer only one perc, be it a downstem, fixed stem, or stemless. cleaning the perc just got to be a hassle, mainly because at one point the iso stopped cleaning the perc, and it stained orange/brown...

6. percs are pretty much the same as a diffusor, just better. they do the same thing, diffuse the smoke even more which means lots of little bubbles, which in turn means a much smoother hit.

7. I have an EHLE. and I was thinking of getting that or an Inline Ashcatcher. I dunno yet. Maybe both?

8. I dont like ash catchers and percolators. Science tells us that water filtration removes a disproportionate amount of THC relative to everything else, so why would you want to pass it through water more than one time...? Plus you still get a lot of flavor with single chamber waterpipes. The smoke can still be warm and a little unpleasant with a single chamber, thats why we have ice pinches. Percs make the tube harder to clean, may introduce drag, and an ac is just a fumbley add-on perc. So I guess im anti-ac and anti-perc but I know that tons of people use and enjoy them.

9. ^ Walter, i gotta disagree man. A/c add extra filtration without sacrificing the drag of your tube. And i never use ice in my bongs, even though all have notches, just because i don't like the frosty taste it produces. And if you do have a high end perc'd tube, with either open ended percs or just a really well put together piece like lux, then drag is never a problem, as long as you hit the bong from a straight up position.

10. Well said, different strokes man, thats why there are so many different types of pipes.

11. good percs might not have much drag, but they aren't going to flow like a straight tube would.

12. i love percolated glass.
    i hate coughing and feeling extreme burning inside.
    it hurts.
    why have that when i can smoke comfortably?

13. Ignorance is bliss-

14. ignorance is love and i need that shit

15. Here is my PH(x) they were the first to design and patent a perk almost a decade ago. It is the smoothest thing i have ever used which my collection consist of about 90 different tubes.:hello:
    It is a fact that a perk cleans, and cools your smoke stream.

PHX - The Art of Function

Attached Files:

16. Don't forget that percs can come in singles chambers tubes! That's why I went with Sheldon Black, love their fixed beakers. Double chamber perc tubes are just a lil harder to clean but they are super smooth. Toro makes some sick ones and until you try a high end perc'd tube you won't underst
    and

17. I would love to see that statistic.

If water filtered out that much THC, no one would use a bong.

18. The amount of thc that is removed is incredibly small.
    I will take a fat hash rip from my 2ft triple chamber and get just as high as from my single chamber stemless or my sherly.
    The only difference is that it is going to be a whisper hit because the volume is so much larger.