Really need some advice on mildew

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by DopestDope13, Mar 17, 2013.

1. So I just discovered that my plants have powdered mildew and I don't know what to do. It wiped out my Diablo OG and is moving on to my bubba. I took out all the heavily affected plants. Is my grow ruined should I just start over? Is there anything I can do to get rid of it can someone please help me it's killing me to think my crop is ruined ugh :( thank you

2. #2 canuck420, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    PM is easier to treat IMO its a symptom of the environment you've created for them- this is why is only appears outside certain times of year,
    1. the best is to go buy a sulfur burner !asap! this will stop its spread and then ur plants should rebound ,
    2.other things - like taking it outside(if 65+) and hose of for few minutes with good mist setting then return indoors with increased ventilation u must clean ur room in that time too even fans spray down with bleach solution, in veg this can stop it dead in late bud its not a option,
    3.in bud Ive heard if u get Ur temp to 90 for a hour or two you kill the spores , research that one tho i don't know about 90-100* temps in last 2 weeks,.

TIPS:
    -if u grow it out with mildew it wont dry or smoke right-
    Hows your ventilation and humidity levels you may need more airflow to decrease ur humidity, this is crucial in last 4 weeks
    -You may need more light as well as fans too,
    - you need to get a temp/humidity gage for reptile tanks (20$) keep that thing on the wall at canopy level and check it nothing over 50% in last 2 weeks

3. #3 DopestDope13, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2013
    Ok here's an idea of my setup I have pics in my journal and more info but it's a 4x4x5 box with a open door that I velcro on during lights out. I have a 600W hps in there and where the door would be, I have a fan blowing air in. Then I have a little vent fan in the top of the box sucking air out from the inside. It seems like sufficient ventilation. And with my veg box I don't even close the door there's always a fan blowing fresh air through the front. The only thing I can think is that we had a storm come through and it rained for like a week straight. During that time it was more humid than normal sometimes in the 60s I have a thermometer / hygrometer in there and the rh rarely gets above 40. I like the way the 90 degree temperature sounds I'm going to have to look into that,I'm still in the first few weeks of flower. Aren't sulfer burners pretty harsh and smell bad? I live in an apartment so I don't have as much privacy as one would in a house. Thank you for your help I greatly appreciate it

4. You can spray vinegar on the pm to kill it. I use apple cider vinegar, totally organic, and it doesn't leave a vinegar smell or taste to your buds.
    Everything the other guy said is true. Turn off the fans clean your room and spray bleach everywhere (not on the plants) increase ventilation and lighting.
    The easiest, cheapest way to fix tge problem is to increase ventilation.
    The strains your growing are susceptible to mold. So if you cant increase the ventilation because you live in an apt. Try growing a sativa, the node length and leaf structure make them more resistant to mold.
    $$

5. Thank you soon much for the info, it has put my mind at ease and I know now what I need to change. So with the vinegar, do I need to dilute it at all or just spray straight vinegar?

6. Straight vinegar. It sould give the acidity on the label. Most are 5% which s perfect to kill mold spores.
    I spray mine in the shade allow it to absorb and dry before returning to ths garden.

7. I went and got some green cure fungicide if that doesn't work I'll try the vinegar. I sprayed everything down with bleach and cleaned everything and sprayed the plants with fungicide. Hoping that will be enough for now.thinking I'm going to put my 250w in my flower boxand another fan as well. Thanks again

8. glad to hear you got some solutions , i like the apple cider i just recently switched to organics haven't had pm in organics yet but now iam prepared thanks oragana care
    I prefer to use a 400w hps and a 250mh in flower room just one foot smaller(lxw) than yours, i have a 6" blower fan for exhaust and 4" intake 1 ocelating fan,the room has several other venting holes, the fans alone will dry soil out, i always overdue my airflow probley wasting power but i never seem to see high temps or PM, during the extended bud times i run my 6" on its fastest setting it can clear the room in a minute, my veg room is another story i try to keep it around 70-85 humidity, hope this helps ,
    - hey organacare what are some really good mold resistant strains to try?

9. I transplanted all my plants and switched back to soil I think I am going to finish up this crop then start over fresh from seed and when I get some extra cash I'll invest in a better fan system. I have 2 strains that were not affected by it, blue dream and purple Alien og but my Diablo og was thrashed by it and my Bubba kush started getting it

10. Spray with malatox. Get a dehum to keep humidity low

11. Oh yeah!! I forgot about a dehumidifier. Thanks

12. Hey canuck...
    Good mold resistant strains are; super silver haze, blue dream and purple trainwreck. I ve grown all with no pm issues when my kush in the same room gets pm these strains didnt. Thats how I started to notice that indicas are more lokley to get pm than sativas.

13. Hmmm never had a problem with kush with pm when I have had my grow room environment under control.

14. Me either... i doubt anyone has. If your rooms under control how would you get it?
    $$

15. It was my fault I know it was a series of events. And the rh outside was really high for like a week straight while it rained. Just made a bunch of newb mistakes and didn't keep things as clean as I should have, got lazy I guess.

And I can attest to blue dream I currently have it in my grow and it was the only one that didn't show signs of mildew all my indicas were screwed

16. #16 canuck420, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2013
    hey man thanks for the info,
    I Can remember battling PM with kush before, it was quite invasive on the kush, I also had a Himalaya Gold going i same space , and it never had a spot appear, the room was also infested with mites and even a catapiller or too, lol none of the pests wanted anything to do with the Himalaya gold, it had two phenos the indica one is better tasting and yielding the sativa pheno was so tough and resistant wish i still had it... oddly enough i took over 50 cuttings off the mom and only 2 took, I kept one and shared 1 with sumone...damn

was the supersilverhaze from Greenhouse seeds too?

17. Ever try a indica outside before? something with big dense colas? a few days of humidity late in the season and you can have some serious problems, how do u keep mother natures environment under control? you cant- you learn, you adapt, you ask questions and try new things, thats the way you truely become a master IMO, anyone could dial in a growroom eventually- its knowing whut to do when shit dosnt go your way! that's where experience is the only thing that can teach you,

18. Kudos Canuck!
    Maybe you could put a dehumidifier next to your plant outside LOL... j/k
    Im jusy trying to help.
    I wont call anyone out but the FACT of the matter is kush, and other short node, squatty, indicas are way more susceptible to mold than sativas. Im not going to get scientific but sativas are indigenous to areas that have high humidity in the equatorial region. They have build up mold resistant as a survival tactic, just as kush grows big dark leaves to draw more of the Himalayian sun on those cool Kush mountain sides.
    $$

19. Snoleperd, mold on ur leaves ( I assume u r growing indoors ) happens beacuse ur leaves are touching and they will sweat under lights all my plants even seedlings r in front of a 14inch box fan on low, this puts out a considerable breeze, then u have 2 prune so ur plant will get good complete airflow I have been doing this so long I never considered it, One Thing I Must Do is bleach down ur grow area to kill any spores flying around, after every grow I bleach out my grow area just in case my previous grow left something behind. SNOLEPERD