really need pipe help

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by mister stash, Jun 28, 2011.

1. i have a metal pipe like this-
    http://www.grasscity.com/us_en/metal-chamber-pipe.html
    but mine has a cap and everything screws apart.
    i was cleaning it with the iso and salt method and then i rinsed it off with water and it rusted.
    how do i get the rust off, and how do i rinse off the alchohol and salt without it rusting?

2. buy a glass pipe and throw that out. smoking out of metal is horrible

3. my ass and its my favorite. ill +rep the fuck out of whoever is smart enough to help me out = D

4. Once you have rust its a pain in the ass to really get rid of all of it. You can polish it till its clean, but there may still be some. Even then it will probably rust again unless you re-finish it.. I would get another pipe.

5. Well, I don't really care for +rep... but uhhh
    Steel wool does a good job. I personally would just go to the local hardware store and pick some up. I use this stuff that is sold right next to the steel wool at almost all hardware stores. It is a green little pad and feels sort of like the green side of a dish-sponge. I would recommend that as steel wool can leave little particles engraved into the metal which can also rust. this stuff leaves a bit of greenish dust that you can clean out by just using some ISO and the ISO won't rust later.

I use this green little pad for cleaning my bike parts, from Carbon Fiber to Aluminum #6065 and #7075. I think it won't damage your pipe!
    I can't remember the name, but if I come across it I will let you know. But again, it is generally sold next to steel wool at almost all hardware stores!

6. rust is almost impossible to "get off", it's the process of metal decaying basically. ever turned spoiled milk back into fresh milk? you could do all that stuff, but to be honest smoking out of a possibly rusted pipe makes me uneasy and it does alter the flavor of the smoke, it's just a consequence of metal. take a step up to glass, it really is better and awesome

7. #7 nug thug, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
    Found it... Scotch Brite brand scouring pads!
    Looks like this:

[​IMG]

I have managed to remove all of the rust on some pieces, but it doesn't always work out so well. A big reason people like scouring pads more than steel wool is because steel wool can also leave metal bits in your fingers!
    Hate that shit, personally!

Remember though, I clean carbon fiber and aluminum. If your pipe is made out of denser material, it may require stronger material to clean it. Either way, steel wool and scouring pads don't cost a whole lot of money.

If you want to rep me, you can. But I don't really mind either way.

8. well i would steel wool it but its in the spirals where you twist the parts together. is there something i can soak it in?
    and i have steel wool that i use to get rust off gun barrels and bike parts

9. go to the hardware store and ask for their help

10. go to the headshop and buy a new glass pipe. rusted metal? and you still want to smoke out of it?

11. This thread is asking for help with what he presently has. You can either help him or you can leave.

12. thank you dude.
    and its a sentimental thing. its the oldest pipe i have and i got it when i first started smoking. and then its been rusting for the past 3 weeks and ive tried scrubbing it.

13. I would recommend cleaning all the marijuana resin out of it and just taking it to a hardware store. Tell them it's your tobacco pipe and you want to get the rust out. If you don't feel comfortable with that, explain to them what kind of metal it is and how much rust is present. Someone should be of assistance. At least around here. The hardware store here knows what is up.

14. thanks. i dont want to do that but i might have to :(

15. As long as you're of age, I don't think that they will really mind. If not, just be indirect and talk about rust on the type of metal you have and BS something if necessary.
    If you just feel uncomfortable, route two works still.

16. yeah ill take it in there sometime this week. thanks man

17. the other option is get a new one and just hold on to your old one is a 7 dollar metal pipe really worth all that much time and energy i understand its sentimental but pipes come and go.

18. lol i could tell you the story about the pipe and why its worth it but i already have a few more pipes im just wondering how to fix this one. its not like its my only pipe lol

19. dud ei fi was u i would just throw that out and go get a glass bowl

20. #20 mister stash, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2011
    WOW HOLY ****!!!! YOUR SO ****ING HELPFULL OMFG WHAT THE ****!!!! HOWCOME NOONE ELSE SAID THAT? wow thank you so very ****ing much!!!!