Really, How safe is weed

Discussion in 'General' started by bradilicious, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Its been mentioned so many times, schizophrenia/physcosis. But to some it up one last time. Ive heard nothing positivie about pot. It starts off fine, and in the long term everyone i know that smoked pot to an excess in there younger years leading up to there 40/50's have devoloped some sort of physcosis and are turned into complete bums, with no money. Ive heard some pretty wacky storys about pot, Ive asked doctors about this alot and they say, Yes its possible, 1 bowl can set you into a physcotic episode for months, maybe forever. It makes me feel really uneasy when i smoke now, but from grassicty, i want to know the truth what you think? Dont flame, no hard feelings.

2. That is complete and utter bullshit. Click the quote in my signature and read!

3. If you believe that one bowl can send you into a state of psychosis, then maybe it will happen to you. I don't believe it, and I've smoked probably hundreds of thousands of bowlpacks in my life. Psychosis? Na.

4. Dude

George Washington and Ben Franklin both smoked weed.
    They founded a nation.

5. I've been diagnosed with schizophrenia type: disorganized, but I had been smoking for 3 years untill it was for sure that I had it. And there's a history of mental illness in my family so there's no telling weather it was the weed that caused this or what.

6. The use of weed does not cause schizophrenia.

7. dude if you believe that bullshit why are you signed up to grasscity.com? your just gonna bum out all the other stoners out there with that bullshit propaganda the gov. spreads around

8. If you really think about it, marijuana is the more natural of the 2 (ciggarettes). Tobacco, along with marijuana, are both naturally occuring plants. Marijuana is picked freshly from the plant, and goes straight into a bowl/joint/etc. Tobacco, on the other hand, goes through a factory where mysterious chemicals are added to the mix.

You don't see them using tobacco for medical purposes, do you?

9. someone posted a site that showed how dangerous drugs were compared to doing things...

and mj was like as dangerous as playing basketball

mdma amazingly was low too , since I guess 1 in 100,000 die from it

10. bradilicious, if there is mental illness in your family. I would get checked out for predisposed schizophrenia. If you are fine mentally, and depending on how much you smoke you are looking at some lung damage. Lung damage doesn't kill you, but it is the only side effect that I know of.

You can't get a disease or mental illness BY smoking weed.

11. Believe what you like. As for me, I firmly believe that I can smoke weed until the day I die and it will not cause me any mental health problems.

12. Weed is safe, period.

13. yeah thats def bull shit

14. that doctor should be fired. he flat out told u a lie.

15. weed is not bad for the reason there is no addictive chemical in weed that can make you hooked like nicotone crack cocaine etc.... but thats just me

16. i've talked about this with my psychiatrist a lot... schizophrenia runs on both sides of my family, my dad has two cousins, one committed suicide and the other is mentally unstable. his sister also had an episode of paranoid schizophrenia, but my cousin, her son, believes that it might have been coke or crack induced psychosis. my cousin on my mom's side also has schizophrenia.

anyways, basically, there has recently been a sort of flurry of research into whether marijuana causes psychosis or not. schizophrenia is caused by an excess of dopamine, which is one thing that smoking pot does. Schizophrenia and being high can actually be quite similar, and for some people smoking pot basically induces temporary psychosis. This is why some people can get paranoid while high, or have auditory hallucinations (i.e. you see some people a little distance aways and you think you can hear them talking about you, but you might realize that they're too far away for you to really be able to hear them).

Basically, all of the research has been in the form of statistics, and therefore it is impossible for scientists to show a causal link between marijuana and psychosis. This is akin to a correlation I read in a letter from the Flying Spaghetti Monster church to a school district that mandated the teaching of intelligent design. It said that in recent centuries, as the number of pirates has declined, the average global temperature has increased. There is a definite correlation, but no other real connection (that we know of). The same sort of reasoning is used in the recent research regarding marijuana and schizophrenia. It is, of course, much more logical than the pirates and global temperature correlation, and marijuana as a cause of schizophrenia is a possibility, but it is definitely not known for sure.

Personally, my attitude is that marijuana has been used for thousands of years. If there were any really significant problems associated with it, i'm sure they would have surfaced much earlier than now. While this recent research is somewhat alarming, it is by no means conclusive.

erowid has a good article on the issue, http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannabis/cannabis_health3.shtml