Really D.C.?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GhanjaFog, Dec 23, 2012.

1. So the Fiscal Cliff deadline is in a week and now I see on the news that Washington is taking a FUCKING CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY?

So your week long vacation is more important than the financial security of the country? Fix the problem now, and take your vacations later, because if no deal is reached, everyone is screwed.
    I can't fathom why the politicians think this is a good idea, after a week of vacationing they wont even remember half of what they need to in order to solve this.

Opinions on this? With only just over a week left to reach a deal, is this the best time to be taking a vacation?

2. If you take their salary and divide it by how much time they spend on the congress floor I think it amounts to like 200/hour.

3. The "fiscal cliff" is a total nonissue. It's political theater and has zero importance. As far as Congress taking a vacation I'm all for it. If they aren't working they can't cause any harm.

4. ^ This. The only reason it's important to politicians and their cheerleaders is so they can gain 'points' by blaming the 'other side'.

I remember 1st hearing about the "fiscal cliff" over a year ago and am not the least bit surprised they waited until 2 weeks ago to start the negotiations, and less surprised they went on vacation without anything to show.

5. Sad part is, it's not like you can say that you're surprised.

I do have to say that Boehner has been pushing really hard for negotiations.

6. They have nothing to worry about. Even if there is a total collapse, ridiculously huge taxes will still be stolen form us and the very first thing that money will go to pay for is their 100% lifetime pensions and extravagant benefits package that they voted for them selves and only they can take away. This is the equivalent of going to work tomorrow and asking all of your coworkers to vote on a huge pay raise for everyone and corporate headquarters cant do anything about it. It passes unanimously. They are set to be rich and steal our money for the rest of their wretched lives and its all legal because they say it is. What incentive do they really have to fix anything? even if the people wake up and say fuck you, we are voting you out, they still are set for life. Congress and the Senate have zero accountability to the people and they know it too damn well.

7. Wow, they really make that fucking much?
    Heres a sickening comparison, my best friend just enlisted in basic training for infantry, while in basic he was making $5 & change per hour.
    So, he went through A CS gas chamber, fracturing his hip, and nearly needing a hip replacement from the hell of that training. And yes, they will put you through a gas chamber, it wont kill you, but your entire body will feel like its on fire, alot of people quit before even going into it, I've seen video of people doing it, its fucked up what they put people through.

So tell me again how its okay that congressman make 200/hour while soldiers make 5?!?!?!

Wont question political theater, political posturing or any of that because everything they do they turn into political theater. It seems they care more about getting the peoples attention than they do about doing anything for the people
    After watching Obama's recent press conference I dont think he really see's eye to eye with Boehner. I agree with you that hes been pushing to get this done, and I'm glad someone at least appears to give a shit about it, but the problem is I don't think enough people(Obama included) are going to listen to Boehner for whatever reason.

8. Dude the gas chamber was one of the funnest parts of my basic, or most memorable lol. It's not that bad :p

Anyway yea it's fucked up how much they make and how little they accomplish.. why aren't people protesting them to keep working and to solve this issue? ::confused:

9. I agree with this guy. Its all hype. Yeah It stings like a son of a bitch and you really dont want to breath it but you have a gas mask that you only take off breafly. Been there, done that...

10. put the politicians on minimum wage and see how fast shit changes.

11. I was about to say the same thing. Plus if your in combat I'd want to be used to that shit then be shocked by it

12. I wish they would do that to politicians, give them a little more motivation. Put them on Comission, when they do something that benefits the country they get paid.

I suppose that makes sense, it just seemed a bit extreme at first. I would think that the shit the enemy is using would be far more toxic though, they aren't gonna be nice about gassing you.

13. Congress votes on their own pay raises. I see no conflict of interest there...

14. There is no fiscal cliff. Chill the fuck out.

15. I somehow managed to sit through a couple minutes of news on tv today, and of course face palmed at the "solution"that passed the U.S. senate. Something about $600 billion in tax increases and $15 billion in spending "cuts", over a decade.

The cherry on top was reading this:
    Bill to avert fiscal cliff heads to House - US News and World Report

Does any know what "country" is supposed to mean?