Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Really curious about medical marijuana in Michigan

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Isitonu33, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I would like to start this off by saying this is my first post on this site although I have browsed it before. I was just wondering about the medical marijuana laws for Michigan. Do you have to be a certain age? I am 18 and I want to apply for it but I don't know how to go about doing it. And by now I know most of you are thinking this is some dumb kid trying to get weed for fun.. I have been sufferering with depression for over a year now and I started smoking about 3 weeks ago. Since then I have not felt suicidal or hopeless once! I stopped my antidepressants because they weren't working.. I could not sleep when I took them so I'd be miserable the next day on them anyway. Kinda pointless. So my question is can I get a card for depression? I know that sounds lame but I've felt great the last couple of weeks and I don't want that horrible feeling to come back. Thanks for any advice/input/tips etc.

2. How long were you on antidepressants and which one(s)? That could make a big difference.

3. I was on welbutrin for a little over a year. But I went on and off of it because I could not sleep on the shit.. Like I would go nights tossing and turning. And it sucked! But I was on 150mg and then got it upped to 300mg. But I've been off since I started smoking weed daily (I'm new to miss Mary :D ) and I feel great! So idk it's a long shot but it would be souh easier if I didn't have to hide it you know what I mean?

4. #4 SheenTheSage, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    One thing to watch out for if you'll experiment with MJ as an antidepressant is habituation, especially if you have inherited an addictive personality, since marijuana seems to be an effective antidepressant only in low doses, probably less than 0.25-0.5 grams spaced throughout the day. If you go above that, the science reports, and my experience agrees, that it actually worsens depression. So if you want to retain its antidepressant qualities, you'll want to avoid developing a high tolerance and strong dependence. Sadly, our body does not always know what is best for it, and we do not always like what is good for it...so, like gluttons, you may yourself overindulging at the expense of your health. I can only advise you, but cannot make you drink from the fountain of wisdom, and some advice, being too good to be followed, is destined to be overlooked; it is least heeded when most needed.

If you're wanting to know how to get a card for depression in Michigan, it's not going to be easy at all, because it's not a qualifying condition. So you'd have to petition to the legislature to amend the law with additional qualifying conditions, namely clinical depression. While not impossible, me telling you this would be a difficult process would be a huge understatement...government is slow as molasses at change...and that's assuming you can convince their "experts". MCL 333.131 isn't avaiable on the MDCH LARA website...very suspicious. Did they remove it?

California has insomnia, depression, anxiety, and ADD on their list.

You're better off applying for a card under the guise of chronic pain, then using it off-label to treat your other disorders, than trying to change the Michigan law so they allow it for depression/anxiety/etc...it's like trying to move a bowling ball by throwing ping pong balls at it, when you could simply tilt the table and let it roll. If you have any records of injuries or surgery, that would give you fair chances.