Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Really Bad First Time Experience - Need Advice

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by new2this2014, May 11, 2014.

1. Hi -

I'm 59, haven't used pot since the 70's. Got my California Patient ID yesterday and got set-up. Took 3 hits of Double Dream (Sativa) using a Couldtank M3 vaporizor. It was the most horrible experience - way too high and horrendous nausea. All I could do curl-up on my couch and hug a pillow and ride it out for 3 hours - following that I was sick all night.

I'd heard that pot has changed a lot since the 70's - but I had no idea THIS would happen.

The Dr. also recommended concetrates and edibles which I also ordered but I'm too damn scared to try anything else at this point. I need some advice - and doesage information. Also - I'm wondering if some people just have a really bad reaction to pot and if I'm one of them. I enjoyed it in the 70's. But I never want to have another experience like yesterday again.

Any adivce?

2. Slow it down man, start with one hit and wait 20 minutes at least

3. I'd DEFINITELY avoid the concentrates and edibles for a while if you felt that bad after toking.

I was gonna recommend you using a vape but I guess that's the method you initially tried out so maybe just a little bowl next time? The vape might've rushed to your head a little too fast or something but try taking a small hit from a pipe instead and waiting it out a bit. Have a meal in your stomach too and some water by your side. 

Sorry you went through that man, must be the crazy long tolerance break cause no bud I've ever gotten has given me any symptoms even close to those. If you liked it in the 70s you should still like it nowadays, don't see how your reactions could be so polar opposite just cause "pot's changed", but ease into it instead! 

4. To expand on what's already been said, vaporizers provide a far more potent high than smoking, eating or using concentrates, so that's strike one there. I'd avoid the edibles and concentrates for at least a few weeks until you get your tolerance vs. relief level balanced out. Ask your dispensary/delivery service about their lower THC or high CBD strains; any respectable service will have sub-10% strains. Advances in growing techniques will obviously result in higher THC percentages compared to the stuff that was available 30-40 years ago.

Also avoid using the vaporizer for now unless you're dead-set on using it or you have a respiratory issue that would be aggravated by smoking.

5. DO NOT fuck around with the concentrates and edibles, like the post above me says. I recommend buying a cheap glass pipe, taking a tiny hit and see how you feel. Vaporizers will getcha.

6. Also, maybe try a high cbd indica strain.

7. Not going to lie to you but you are going to have alot more of these experiences. Its just part of the game. The good thing is after a while you literally learn to just deal with it and ride along. Short story: Last time I smoked I smoked a whole joint of some pretty fire stuff with my friend. I couldn't even finish the entire joint because I started to get that uneasy feeling in my stomach. That impending doom feeling. Anxiety I guess you could call it. Anyway I ended up wayyyy too high. This wasn't the first time i've smoked either but the first time in a long time I had smoked. Fast forward to today. I smoke some bud I bought off him and pretty much smoke an entire bowl to myself. As I'm walking into my house I force myself to have good thoughts and then just ride them. Works every time. Key is to be in a comfortable environment, with positive thoughts. 

8. As knitting momma said try high CBD strain. A high CBD strain still has THC but typically in minimal amounts. Some also have an even ratio. Know that CBD will offset the "high" of THC.

9. Cold milk 

You should know this by now

10. roll up a joint of an indica strain

11. I am from the same generation. Although I have a vaporizer, I stopped using it.  I prefer to use a glass or metal pipe and smoke very small amounts, even of "mid" quality weed.  What you have sounds like it's very strong sativa-dominant, so maybe the next time you purchase something you should try to get something milder, preferably indica-dominant.   Whatever you do, if you're on Blood Pressure meds, be careful, because weed can amplify the effect of blood pressure pills and lower it too much, this happened to me several times. 

12. if you havent smoked since the 70s, Ill go out on a limb and say that youre used to Sativas (Indicas werent big in the Western Hemisphere back then) and smoking from joints.

So unless you have respiratory issues, shelf the vape for a minute, they are much stronger than smoking, and just roll some joints (if you cant roll well, rollers are cheap, or you could buy a handpipe). And dont even consider playing with concentrates till your more used to the potency of modern herb, because they are a whole nother ballgame. Same goes for edibles (but they arent as strong as concentrates unless theyre made with them or just ridiculously strong). After you can toke on a joint/handpipe happily, look into a bubbler. When youre used to that look into a bong. After bong mastery, youre ready for edibles. Only eat one at a time till you understand how they effect hou, they take awhile to kick in. Then you can look into vaping again. And finally concentrates.

Now, if you have respiratory issues, I would recommend asking for less potent bud so it doesnt overwhelm you, and then either make your own edibles, or vape it.

And no it wont always be like this once your used to it you wont experience anything like this ever again.

13. Try the cheapest indica strain you can get, then start just one puff at a time and see how it effects you. I use just before bedtime, and it makes me get very sleepy, and not a high at all, ever, I just dose off to a peaceful sleep.

14. I wouldn't call the Cloutank M3 a vape, I would say it is closer to a combustion pen.  1 hit off of that can be pretty intense and I would say it is a lot similar to a pipe or a even a small bong hit.  The small amount of carbon monoxide from the combustion might have made you sick especially since your tollerance is low. 

I agree with ron2014, the cheaper the weed, the less intense it will probably be.  All of these specific strains and intense hybreds can create some pretty potent plants that can be an overwhelming feeling if you are just expecting a regualr buzz from a generic 'run of the mill' plant off the street.