Reality

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by camcannabis2727, Nov 11, 2008.

1. The last time I got really blazed, I started thinking about something I read on here about a blade not believing in reality. And as I thought about it, I understood and agreed. To say "reality", you are suggesting that there is one perception of the universe that is the "correct" perception. But in the universe, everything is relative. Distance, color, time, all of it. You cannot determine the chairness of a chair, and there is no realm of forms. There is no reality.

2. I wouldn't say there is no reality.

There are an endless amount of things going on in the world and the universe that I have no idea about, but they happen anyway. Every other person has lived a real life full of experiences.

You may not be able to determine the chairness of a chair; but you can touch it, sit on it, measure its demensions. It's there, for everyone.

3. I think what he really means is that reality is merely an illusion covering the truer aspect of existence.

4. wow.. this thread just starting me thinking...lol

5. We can never tell reality from the limiting perspective of thought. Yes, reality is relative when people view it through the lens of personal perception, through thought. Become aware of what is without thought, and there is no perception anymore, only awareness of what-is.

6. To accept everything as relative in its strictest sense we would have to accept relative as an objective, which by definition it is not. So relative seems to be somewhat self-contradicting. I believe that I exist and I'm sure that all of you would agree that you are in fact real. Reality refers to what is actually true and the reality that we perceive seems to be only a small portion of it. It is possible that our perceptions and mind are too limited to ever fully perceive reality this however does not mean that there is no reality.

So if you say there is no realm of the forms you are taking up the view of nominalism that would say there aren't any universals(forms) in reality. However, you still have to account for how things can be related to one another if there's no generality between them in reality. For this reason most nominalist tend to be conceptualist as well and say that universals only exist as the minds categorizing of the things it perceives, or something along those lines.

7. We don't understand what relative relativity is nor what objective objectivity is. Relative and objective define one another.

8. Having lived through the acute symptoms of schizophrenia a number of times, I believe I have an interesting perspective on the existence of reality. Basically, schizophrenia leaves one unable to distinguish between the imagined and the sometimes harsh reality in which we exist. In my experience, reality does not bend to one's perspective. It has proved itself to me.

Peace

9. there is reality, it is the sum of everything you are. and is different and unique to each person.

My reality is a college student who looks, feels, thinks, has experienced and does everything that I do, have done, and will do, but no more.

Thats not to say there are not things that are real and and part of other peoples realites. thats the crazy/cool/amazing part of it all, there is literally infinite possibilities for things that could become some persons reality that you never will know, feel, think, comprehend or otherwise understand