"reality is becoming a joke to me"

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by dantheman52, Jun 17, 2012.

1. this is a quote/paraphrase from zach galifianakis. the reason that is had such a significant impact of me was because, when i heard it, it was the first time that i realized that this was also how i felt.

i understand the way the world works. i understand that i need to work to make money, and that i need to get an education to make even more money. but i literally couldn't give any less of a fuck about that. if i was asked what it was that i wanted most out of my life, there would not be a single material thing on that list. so how is someone like me to supposed to not only survive but thrive in a society that is so obsessed with industrial/technological growth? i know i am not alone, and sadly, i also know that there probably isn't a satisfying solution to my problem, but it sure would be nice to have a chat.

2. For me, the sad part is that this reality that you and I share is the only one we will get to experience from the time that we're born to the time that we die. Sometimes, I feel like the human experience is going insane.. and so I'm getting crazier and so is the world.

Between spirituality, communication, modern world, atomic bombs, black holes, the big bang, dinosaurs, weed, religion, a fucking planet filled entirely with life and 7 billion people, economy, war, sexuality... I could go on for days. It's all a big fucking joke.

So yes. Reality is becoming a joke to me.

And still, the good times are oh so worth it :smoke:

3. I wouldn't call it a joke, because not all of it is funny.

As Bill Hicks used to say, it's a 'ride'. Try to enjoy it while you're on it, cause we all have to get off sooner or later.

4. Oh, it's a joke.. Just not a very funny one.

5. There are ways...the paths are not often simple and there is always risk involved...yet of coarse that is only half the fun.... i could not care less about matirial crap... but i do like to push myself..so i find work that i enjoy when i can...and i simply do not but into the culture we are sold... if you look round yourself im sure you can find a way to fulfill your needs without playing into the crowd
    ...maybe;):smoke:

6. The world we live in is a complete joke. We do so much shit all through out our lives so we can die at the end. With no true knowledge Of who or what we are or what our purpose is.

At death everyone will still be divided by personal opinion, so Truly we will never know truth. We are all living lies.

7. I guess I haven't gotten there yet. I still like material things.

As for reality, I think its safe to say if we could design our own reality for ourselves, we would. But, it is what it is. Dstreets is right, bill hicks said it best, its a ride.

8. i agree. i think its fucked up how we are born into a world where we basically have no control over our lives. we are bred like cattle, so that we can work, stay in line, and pay our government money. fuck the system we live in right now

9. Smash capitalism, it's what's causing all of this existential crisis you've got goin' on.

I've been in a state of existential crisis for as long as I can remember.
    They told me they had cookies.
    I couldn't find any when I got here :(

10. Come to think of it I don't have alot of desire for material things, like for my birthday or whatever I never ask for anything except for money maybe and then I use that money to buy weed haha, but ya this world and our reality we percieve is one big joke, we as a civilization have fucked ourselves already, with all the corruption and wars going on because of some bullshit religions, it's all one joke called humanity, and society completely controls us, if you are out of the norm with your beliefs or things you do your looked at as an outcast and everyone will resent you for it, fuck that

11. [quote name='"dantheman52"']this is a quote/paraphrase from zach galifianakis. the reason that is had such a significant impact of me was because, when i heard it, it was the first time that i realized that this was also how i felt.

i understand the way the world works. i understand that i need to work to make money, and that i need to get an education to make even more money. but i literally couldn't give any less of a fuck about that. if i was asked what it was that i wanted most out of my life, there would not be a single material thing on that list. so how is someone like me to supposed to not only survive but thrive in a society that is so obsessed with industrial/technological growth? i know i am not alone, and sadly, i also know that there probably isn't a satisfying solution to my problem, but it sure would be nice to have a chat.[/quote]

You just have to .... I hate this tyrant government it's us against them .... And apparently do as they say not as how.... How's that sayin ? Cause all democracy is gone if we can't get Ron Paul president and weed is illegal

12. If its a joke, retell it because I don't get it.

13. When i say its a joke, what i mean is that ill be thinking about shit, and naturally i go deeper and deeper with it (only way i know how) to the point where i stop myself and just kind of throw my hands up. I dont know how many times the phrase "i dont know, man" goes through my mind on a daily basis.

14. I think it's one long, hard sexual innuendo.

15. The proble isn't that we are caught up chasing things we can't get - like a horse being led by carrot dangling in front of it's snout - but that there is no other way to live. Life sucks, there ain't much to do if you don't have something; be that talent, looks, brains,or money. You're either born with those things or you end up chasing them, hoping to one day have possession of them to fill some inner emptiness, but when you get them, or at least the money, you realise that the journey was worth it ... fuck yeah! SELL OUT MOTHERFUGGERS!

Most if not all of you people would love to have Bill Gates money, whether you want to admit it or not. The problem is that people have this self righteous, morally superior attitude that has them feeling as if they don't need it, or at the very least it has them wanting others to think that they don't need it when in fact the crave it.

In your perpetual moments of wangsting, you can say that you don't want money, or that you want what it can get you - a comfortable life - but in the end you know that is unrealistic and you know the truth; you want all the riches of the Earth for yourself you selfish bastard. You want to be the smartest, most wonderful, richest, most charming and charismatic memorable figure in human history ever - how irrational. We are man the irrational beast. Or some such nonsense.

16. I think that's part of the joke.

17. [quote name='"tHe LoNLy StOnR"']The proble isn't that we are caught up chasing things we can't get - like a horse being led by carrot dangling in front of it's snout - but that there is no other way to live. Life sucks, there ain't much to do if you don't have something; be that talent, looks, brains,or money. You're either born with those things or you end up chasing them, hoping to one day have possession of them to fill some inner emptiness, but when you get them, or at least the money, you realise that the journey was worth it ... fuck yeah! SELL OUT MOTHERFUGGERS!

Most if not all of you people would love to have Bill Gates money, whether you want to admit it or not. The problem is that people have this self righteous, morally superior attitude that has them feeling as if they don't need it, or at the very least it has them wanting others to think that they don't need it when in fact the crave it.

In your perpetual moments of wangsting, you can say that you don't want money, or that you want what it can get you - a comfortable life - but in the end you know that is unrealistic and you know the truth; you want all the riches of the Earth for yourself you selfish bastard. You want to be the smartest, most wonderful, richest, most charming and charismatic memorable figure in human history ever - how irrational. We are man the irrational beast. Or some such nonsense.[/quote]

Sure, i would love to have billions...but only because that would mean being able to focus my time and energy on what matters to me, instead of some bullshit company. And if i had billions, i would use the vast majority to help those who really need it, not myself. Im not trying to make myself out to be a saint either; you bet your ass id have some cool shit if i was rich.

18. We all need to lighten up a little bit.

19. You know there's plenty of other people out there who think this way. And how hard would it really be to live the way we wanted? Just say no. Get up off your couch, turn off the fucking TV, go outside and start living the way we're supposed to.
    This is our experience, our life. It could be our only time in this reality, who's to tell you how to experience it? And in the grand scheme of things, how important is all this? Society, it's all jumping through hoops. Everything that you do you do because it's what's expected of you, not what you want to do.
    Be human to the fullest extent, live it up.

20. [quote name='"VTSeeker"']You know there's plenty of other people out there who think this way. And how hard would it really be to live the way we wanted? Just say no. Get up off your couch, turn off the fucking TV, go outside and start living the way we're supposed to.
    This is our experience, our life. It could be our only time in this reality, who's to tell you how to experience it? And in the grand scheme of things, how important is all this? Society, it's all jumping through hoops. Everything that you do you do because it's what's expected of you, not what you want to do.
    Be human to the fullest extent, live it up.[/quote]

Fuck yea