realisations

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Digit, Dec 17, 2004.

1. what has been the most frightening / troublesome realisation you have ever had to come to terms with in your life?

for me, it wasn't any of those childhood ones like realising your parent's are fallable, or that you'll die, or that your parents will probably die before you, for me, it was realising that i could kill someone easily with my bare hands around the age of 11-14(ish). given that most of my childhood was spent being a violent little bastard, ready to blow anytime ("big bomb, short fuse" they used to say)... it was scary to think what i might do in a moment of rage.
    took me about three years later before i was consciously decided on a path of pacifism.

often it is these extremes in our lives, and how we deal with them depending on our previous experiences, that shape us most.

now ask yourself,
    what has been the most frightening / troublesome realisation you have ever had to come to terms with in your life?

2. thats a really good question.. one that i cannot answer though :|

3. to me it was the fact that Humanity was actually killing Earth

oh wait....

4. yeah, its pretty fucked up, a guy on a bike (thought it was a bmx but melissa said it was a kids bike, fucking ned probably stole it) went past me, duncan, melissa and her mates on thursday night and he greeted us, we greeted him and he got really angry for no apparent reason, he turned round and came at us, pushed me in the cheast then punched me in the head and got duncan in the nose then chased him a bit, died down vey quickly and i am glad i didnt fight back, just tried to speak with the twatt, i was too shocked to do anything really, just said "woah, what the fuck you doing"

as much as i want to claim to be a pascafist, if that guy actually started beating duncan or the women i woulda stepped in to do something, and apart from hurting him, what else could i have done? what would you do in such situations if they ever arose?

5. yeah, i wasn't born a pacafist, i had to work at it.

heh, excellent. offtopicness.