Ready to use out of the bag organic soil

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by Mc Potty, Mar 15, 2017.

1. So I'm thinking of switching to organic from dwc and I've been doing tons of research from reading forums to watching videos and I came up with 3 top soils. These soils are good to use out of the bag with just watering and topping with ewc or what ever floats your boat. Can anyone give me the best outta 3 or should I say 4 soils and let me know what soil will be the best results? And do i need to let it cook at all, do these soils bring bugs? Here are the soils.

1.Kellog patio plus or N rich
    2.Dr Earths organic soil
    3.Pro mix organic soil

2. Pro Mix is probably the best. Dr. Earths is good although I haven't used it in years so not too sure if it's still what it once was. Kellogs is very good and very affordable although somewhat woody. I prefer the Kellogs raised bed mix. It's what I use as a base soil for my raised beds outside. All have been criticized for having bugs, White flies and fungus gnats. Add neem cake and no bug problems

• Like Like x 2
  3. i doubt any of those will be good enough to take a plant to harvest with water only. the only bagged soil which i know people have had good results out of the bag is malibu bu's blend.
    but why not mix your own soil? a good soil can be used over and over and only gets better with age. and its pretty simple really.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Pro mix seems to be working very well on my seedling straight out of the bag, no burn at all.
    The one I got was made for tomatoes.
    I also mixed in about 60% perlite which obviously makes the mix less rich and stuff will need adding eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I cureently use dr earth love there stuff

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  6. I listened to @Scoob and his buddies. Not like he(or his buddies)needs my confirmation. They are vets and it was well worth it. No where near the amount of issues I had before I mixed my own. Got old buying bags of soil that I needed to add stuff too and still not have good results. I started composting and vermicomposting also. Nothing beats homemade, IMO. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Sent from my SM-T567V using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 3
  7. The Basic Clackamas Coot's soil mix recipe for growing cannabis (in his own words):

"Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'
    To each 1 c.f. of this mix I add the following:
    1/2 cup organic Neem meal
    1/2 cup organic Kelp meal
    1/2 cup Crab meal (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts) *
    4 cups of some minerals - rock dust

After the plant is in the final container I top-dress with my worm castings at 2" or so and then I hit it with Aloe vera juice and Comfrey extract. Or Borage. Or Stinging Nettle. Or Horsetail ferns. Whatever is ready.

The Rock Dust Recipe
    4x - Glacial Rock Dust - Canadian Glacial (Gaia Green label)
    1x - Bentonite - from the pottery supply store
    1x - Oyster Shell Powder - the standard product from San Francisco Bay
    1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00) ."

I believe that this recipe allows for some substitutions and that the biggest thing is to stick to the 1/3 SPM, 1/3 aeration, 1/3 humus and the amendments at the specified ratios. I have seen people (including myself) vary the actually "rock dusts" but don't if you can help it, and certainly don't omit the oyster shell flour in place of something else.

Living organic soil is very rewarding to grow in, give it a try, no one has ever looked back after going this route."

* Coot highly recommends the crustacean meal. In his own words, as of 4/20/15;

• Like Like x 1
  8. You can plant right in this stuff. No cook required

• Like Like x 1
  10. It isnt a hot mix. Hot mixes usually contain blood and bone meal and guano.

11. So mix all this together
    1/2 cup Crab meal (or Crustacean meal when available - it has Shrimp meal with the Crab meal. It's a local product from the fisheries on the Oregon & Washington Coasts) *

After the plant is in the final container I top-dress with my worm castings at 2" or so and then I hit it with Aloe vera juice and Comfrey extract. Or Borage. Or Stinging Nettle. Or Horsetail ferns. Whatever is ready.

The Rock Dust Recipe
    1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00).

with 7.5 c.f. of this ?

Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'

So what's the rock dust recipe does that go in together with everything too?

12. #12 Mc Potty, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    So mix all this together

The Rock Dust Recipe
    1x - Basalt - from Redmond, Oregon (new product at Concentrates - about $18.00).

with 7.5 c.f. of this ?

Equal parts of Sphagnum peat moss, some aeration deal (pumice, rice hulls, lava rock - whatever is sitting in the garage) and finally some mix of humus - my compost, worm castings some black leaf mold I bought from the local 'worm guy'

So what's the rock dust recipe does that go in together with everything too?

13. The recipe is per 1 cubic foot which is 7.5g.

Make rock dust recipe seperate then add 4 cups per cubic foot

• Like Like x 1
  14. Copy got it! Thanks bro!

15. Do you have a solid recipe Mr scoob?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  16. happy frog is good stuff, $20 for a 2 cubic foot bag.

17. The best soil is one you mix yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 3