Ready to top? Which lines to top at?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by NotoriousCheech, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Feeling like I am ready to top these ladies and get to training soon, am i right in this thinking? Final grow spot will be in a 5x5. And then which color should i be cutting at? Just the little growth in the middle of growth, or at the stem. I dont mind going a little lower to slow done growth more but open to all ideas!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. I would cut at black.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Me too black looks good

• Like Like x 2
  4. Right on! So definitely a little bit lower down then huh. Makes me nervous thinking about doing it but it sounds like whats right haha. Both think they are at a good spot to go ahead and top tonight?

5. Cut at black and clone the tops for next run or for practice at least

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Personally..........if they were mine......I would try to pull those laaaaaaaaaanky tops down...and tie em.....let the whole plant start growing upwards......and then top when those branches are ready.:RoorRip:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Love this idea for when i do top, didnt even think about cloning them at this point but i have everything needed! Never have cloned one myself before either.

HMMMMMM... Was thinking about this as but read somewhere i should top then tie the new growth down once long enough. You prefer to tie down near the top of the plant to bend all the way down to the side and top growth that starts popping up vertically from there?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well I grow autos.....I haven't grown photos in quite a while.....so I haven't purposely topped a plant in years.....but yeah....basically what you said....is what I would do with those......but to be honest....they would have already been topped before they got to where yours are now....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ahh i got you. No doubt, i do think I have been hesitating for too long letting them grow out before topping, mostly experimenting on just one that is not in pictures but looks wonderful, better than the rest honestly. Probably going to top them tonight at the black lines, cut back on some growth then LST and possibly top again in a couple weeks. Thanks for the help really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah, fa sho. Sounds like you got the right plan in mind to me.....good luck:passing-joint:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Thanks brotha!! :passtheshit:
    Excited for all the new things ive got to learn. Nothing going terrible wrong yet so im happy for it haha

12. Another question. A lot of pictures/guides I see posted seem to have more equal plant growth going out from each side of the plant. On a few of my taller ones there are leaves sporadically going up the stem, does this affect how i should top things?

[​IMG]

As you can see in this one, leaves growing out from each side but not many points where they grow out symmetrical at the same part of the stem.

[​IMG]

Compared to this where there are multiple growing points sticking out at the same point.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeah....usually, they come out "together"....on each side of the plant....but yours......i guess it stretched sooo much that one popped when it did...and the other popped later....but you wanna cut above where there is new growth on both sides.....so yours....for instance..on your first picture....the third blue line from the top, right there where the blue line ends on the right side....just continue that blue line...and cut there.......thats how I would do it..

Thats just "an example" though......it looks as though you have the "option" to top higher up there...right near the top.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Is this black line right where you were talking about? Just above the new growth, leaving a little bit of main stem above. Is it fine to top down to a point where there is growth only on one side? Will that end up creating anymore growth spots besides that one?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah.....technically, I would cut JUUUUST above where that new growth is coming out.....that will theeen make that new growth right there at your black line....and the other growth below that, at the 4th blue line.....the TWO "main colas" of your plant.......let them grow for a while and you can top THOSE two if you wanted.....I mean it kinda is endless with what you can do with them...lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Okay noted, cut right above the new growth but pretty much at that black line correct? I think im understanding! Appreciate the help very much.

What would you suggest for a plant like this? I did more of "fimming" with this one and some training. Should i be defoliating this one yet or let grow some more, maybe train again or top again? This is my best looking one for sure. Much bushier than the rest.
    [​IMG]

17. No problem.....again my friend....thats totally just from my perspective....you can...and probably will....have someone come in here and suggest something totally different.

Yeah, I would be cutting some of those big fan leaves off of that one...and I would be "pushing down" and bending those top branches out.....hold them there for a while....let em go...do it again...kinda start training em, ya know...then once they get a bit of length....i tie em down.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Haha totally understandable. I think thats why i have been so hesitant to do anything. I get confident with one answer then read a little more and find another method and it halts me.

Its hard to see but ive actually tied down both of the bigger stems growing outwards to promote some more light penetration. This picture should make things easier to see. Thoughts?
    EDIT- Also when you do mention you would cut off some bigger fan leaves, would you start from the bottom up or some of the bigger ones near the top as well blocking more light?

[​IMG]

19. I reallllllly like your tying down....:thumbsup:

I would totally be cutting those ones off at the top, blocking all that light.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Awesome man! SO happy to hear that. This one has been looking the best the whole time...even though my cat got ahold of it at one point for a brief moment hahah.

In my mind I think I am trying to get the rest of them to look a little more similar to that even though some seem to be stretchers. Thinking with some topping and training I can get it somewhat close.. hopefully.

Heard that, so clip off some of the higher up ones as well to get some more light penetration. makes sense.

:passing-joint:

• Like Like x 1