Reading Strategy?

Discussion in 'General' started by dpc1192, Aug 8, 2008.

1. I've gotta read two books for summer reading for school, in a week.

The Autobiography of Malcom X (I'm actually interested in already read 100 pages but its 300pgs!)
    and
    Amusing Ourselves to Death

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make sure I get these done?
    I know most of you will say just sit there and read them, but I have a hard time getting myself to sit down and read when I have off.

Thanks Alot

2. Ive read that autobiography its really good. One of my favorites actually.

3. i hadn't read any books in a while and had a nice quiet time to relax, and read 200 pages easy. But that's easy when you're interested in the material. My advice:
    1.) Learn to actually enjoy reading, books have so much more depth than TV.

2.)Find a nice quiet place to enjoy it, for me, i need no distractions, no pets, doors opening and closing, libraries are ideal. but not a must.

3.)I usually make a nice stiff drink, for me it works, find what works for you.

4. Put off all of your homework until the end of summer did we?
    lol
    cliff notes will really help you.

5. Don't allow your self to blaze until you have read 50 pages, and don't cheat.

6. this helps.
    dont get smashed or anything, a nice little buzz can really help you drown out distractions and get you zoned in on the material, though.

smoking makes reading more interesting for me too, but it's probably different for everyone cause i know people that have to re-read a paragraph several times to understand it while they're high.

7. This isn't the answer you're looking for but... just read them! And, while you're at it, consider yourself fortunate that your school's required reading is as good as it is. You could be sitting there with a pile of crappy books to get through. The books you mentioned are both good enough that you'd want to read them regardless. IMHO.

8. www.sparknotes.com

Didn't read ANY of the assigned reading in highschool and I took AP Land and AP Lit and got 5s. Read the summary and analysis of the book on there, then pay attention in class for what the teacher focuses on to have a general idea on whats going to be on the test.

And thank the gods you didn't have to read In Cold Blood and The Bluest Eye like they made us in High school.