Reading books while high.

Discussion in 'The Bookshelf' started by Deleted member 394727, Jan 7, 2012.

1. I greatly enjoy reading while high, personally.

2. Reading while high is amazing if it's fiction, or something that will take you away, and make you really use your imagination. If it's really difficult, or you have to remember allot of information (I'm reading the Brothers Karamazov right now, and I can't do it high because of all the stuff you have to keep in mind) it's not really that great of an experience - i've fallen asleep reading difficult ish while high. But something like Lord of The Rings, Harry Potter, or something like that is sick when stoned. I read 1984 practically high during every chapter, and I think i'll forever remember Winston Smith, Oceania, O'Brian, Big Brother and the tactics used by the oligarchs.

This is subjective, so it may not be the same for you. But go for it, what do you have to lose, re-reading a few chapters or a book?

3. you can read a book slightly baked

if I'm too baked my mind starts wandering and I don't retain anything
    end up having to go back and reread sometimes

maybe my short-term memory is jus shot

4. I have started reading a lot more recently. When I was younger I hated it and had no desire to read, but now that I've read a couple good books I'm hooked. I've found that I don't enjoy it as much high though. When I'm sober I really get deep into the story, but when I'm high I'll get bored, keep reading the same sentence over and over, or fall asleep. Now movies, much better high.

Interesting. This happens to me as well. I wonder if shorter chapters are preferred over longer chapters while high because of this reason? It's hard to say. The opposite may in fact be true. I'll have to do some experimenting of my own.

6.   The type of strain and what you are reading does come into play. 

Tried reading on some Sweet Tooth (50 sativa/50 indica) which induces a dreamy kind of high and it was quite pleasurable versus Blueberry, a heavy indica, were short chapters were preferred or jus chill in front of the tube :smoking:

7. I cannot write worth a damn when I am high. However I love a good book, really deep fantasy novels with political intrigue. I love the vivid images my mind makes when I read high.

8. The first time I picked up a book was after a few j's with my friend. We had recently spent large sums of money on marijuana, and I was staying at his house until it was done, probably 3 greendays total. It's weird, but it's somewhat of a tradition. I was on his floor and started reading one of those Pokemon books and I became so infinitely lost in the complex world of Pokemon I sat there for a good 2 hours until I finally read the last page, something like 40 pages large-font. Ever since then I've read almost every time I can when I get ripped. You really immerse yourself into the book, it's seriously something else.

9. I've been listening to all the music I can while I read it feels great to enjoy music and literature at the same time but when I"m ripped oh shit it's goin' down

10. Do it up man, it's honest to goodness fun. Makes it alot easier to visualize the story. I especially like humorous books while stoned. I tend to think that humor in books is the best kind anyway, it's often more clever and just downright funny, but when I'm high that stuff just turns me into a giggly little schoolgirl.

11. Sometimes I like to read while stoned, but if I'm too blitzed, I won't retain all of what I read

12. @[member="OCSorrow"] First your avatar looks just like one of my coworkers. Secondly getting sucked into the book of your choice is fantastic, weed really does enhance almost everything. Unless as @[member="Eyedeas3"] mentioned I get too ripped and have trouble holding a coherent thought for more than two seconds.

13. I love reading when I'm high. I can focus on the content more and my imagination really runs wild. I'm more open to ideas and it's harder for me to get bored. If I'm reading something heavy I get bored easily sometimes.

My only concern is that it makes reading sober less enjoyable. Perhaps I'm gaining a mild dependance in order to read, which isn't the best thing but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

14. I really wish I could read when high but it's impossible for me! I just get too distracted and don't really retain much of it. I'm on a T break/ Finding a new job break right now so I'm using this opportunity to read a ton

15. read nightmares and dreamscapes, or everythings eventual, by stephen king.

I pretty much do everything baked, if I can get away with it.

17. #37 TimothyTheFirst, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2013

I've done the same thing pretty recently.  I mean I quit using facebook years ago but I've always been one of the most active people on twitter I knew.  I still check it once or twice a day to get news about the tigers but that's about it.  I haven't tweeted in several days.  

the only social network I still use is tumblr, and I don't really use it to be social by any means, I use it to read and post my writing.  and look at pictures of girls and shit.  but it's a lot better than twitter was because it's not just a shit ton of people constantly saying things. hardly anybody I know in real life is even on there.

It's definitely been a good decision.

But as for reading while high, as long as I'm not like, super baked, I love it.  If I'm too high then I just end up reading the words and I don't really connect any of them and it would be a waste of time, but I'd have to be pretty fucking high for that to happen.  otherwise, reading while baked is great.

18. I love reading while high, but then again I love doing everything high, including getting high.

And I also like the advice above about unplugging from technology. I deleted my FB 6 months ago and don't miss it.

19. #39 MissBonnieBud, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013
    Only certain genres. Crime is too intense, so i might go for some LOTR. 

20. It's hard enough trying to keep concentration sober...