Read as much as possible......still have a few questions....

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by numba1stunna885, Nov 17, 2010.

1. #1 numba1stunna885, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2010
    Ok GC, so I have been in the process of starting my own little grow op (2-4 plants max). I have built my grow box following various guides and I think I'm good to go on that front. My seeds have germinated and have the taproot showing and are ready to be put in soil. My only problem is that I have encountered TONS of different opinions when it comes to soil and I really need some clarification.

I'm looking to keep this whole process as user friendly for my first time, so keep that in mind. Based on what I read, I'd LIKE to grow organically but if that's not a good idea for first time growers then it's not a must. I'm open to any opinion.

Ok so some questions

1) I know it seems like I should know this, but what soil should I put my germinated seeds in at first? I have heard ProMix, but went to wal-mart and the guy said it was too late to buy it and they didnt have any. I need some suggestions for what to use AND a place to get it.

2) Is it worth a 35 minute drive to get fox farms ocean as a novice grower? And if I get it can I use it as my soil the entire grow?

3) And what does it means when people say mix soil with perlite? At what point does it need to be mixed, is it neccesary and where can you buy perlite?

4) Do I flush the soil before or after I add the perlite? and how much water should be used to flush out the soil I put in the dixie cups? is a 1:1.3 soil to water ratio good for the flush?

I just have seen so much different info about soils, I feel like all the reading I've done has done nothing but confuse me. I almost feel like I need my hand held through the whole soil process because I am about as clueless when it comes to gardening as it gets.

2. i know this is going to get bashed to hell but oh well. for your first grow I would just go out and get a cheap soil potting mix. there's shitloads to learn about growing, your seeds are ready to go and your not going to perfect your mix in the next day or so. as these ones grow you'll figure out how you want to grow your next ones, it's all trial and error.
    so yea just me, i'd get a cheap potting mix without any time released nutrients and some cheap nutrients. perilite is added because you want soil that drains really well so your roots don't rot. maybe 1:3 perl./mix
    using nutrients causes salts to build up in your soil, which can make the plant lockup and not take up nutrients, so people flush to remove the salt. usually before you switch to flower, and definitely a week or two before you harvest, when you start feeeding straight water to make sure there's no leftover nutes in the buds your gonna smoke.

3. Thanks man! Just for clarification, don't bother flushing the soil I buy before I put the seeds in the very first time? And where is a good place to buy perlite?

4. no prob i'm a noob too, was going through what u are earlier in the year and my mix keeps changing, think i'm working my way towards coco soon, aanyway ..
    i wouldn't say you need to flush... maybe rinse is a better word. i run water through before I plant but that's just to make sure it's evenly moist, maybe i'm wrong. most people say you should rinse perilite out first tho, because it gets broken up and dusty in the bag. you should be able to get it at ur walmart, any garden center should have it

5. Your on the right track bud and your going to love the hobby of growing.

Your medium is your preference, and I started out with fox farms ocean forest. I'm currently using a mix from advanced nutrients with about 20% perlite (I like my soil nice and airy)

Perlite is just those little white balls you see in potting plants and can be bought at any garden store.

6. You dont need to flush at first. A regular organic soil with some perlite that you can buy at any nursery of home depot type store. Since I dont consider a 35 minute drive all that far I would definitely get that if you have the cash. I still add perlite. At least a bag. Perlite is just a medium(not sure what its made of) but its like little styrofoam beads that help soil to drain better because it doesent get as dense in the pot. A nutrient will be needed. Just do a search. You can go with a cheap run of the mill nute found at most stores or if you have the extra cash go with the fox farm line(grow big, big bloom and tiger bloom) or other line. What type of lighting do you have lined up? Start a journal and let me know about it on my page and I'll be glad to sub and help out.

7. Do I need to add nutes right away or down the line? Ande whats a good ratio of perlite to soil for the seedlings?

8. I would wait about three weeks for nutes and about a third perlite but its not that critical. just get a bag and add some, mix it up in a wheel barrel or something and fill the pots. If I were you I would do that then transplant into 5 gallon pots.

9. No nutes until around 3 weeks.. Too many nutrients too fast will burn or kill your seedling.. They are very sensitive at this stage.. I use a 1/4 ratio for my perlite..

In flowering don't buy into all the talk about needing to get expensive nutrients.. You can make it through with some unsulfured black molasses found at any grocery store.. Near the pancake syrup..

Hope this helps a bit.. Goodluck with your grow..

10. as far as the soil i know i will do the same soil i use for my vegetable garden, that is:
    1/3 compost ( best if you can make your own because it will have much more nutrients
    1/3 perlite/vermiculite (help hold water)
    1/3 peat moss (helps to keep the soil alive and kinda rotates it)

i got this from a square foot gardening video so im not an expert but seems like the logical thing to me