re-vegging a male?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Panda85, Jun 26, 2012.

1. so i might be in the process of moving in a few weeks, not sure yet..but i have a male that is starting week 2 of flower. can i top it take a clone and re veg? or top it and keep the lower half that doesnt have sacks yet? what happens to the pollen sacks when switching back to 24/0?

2. bump

also if i top a male in week 3 of flower now... keep the lower nodes with some pollen sacks, is that easier to control? id like to keep this male and need to reveg it, but it has no branching, just a single top.

should i top, remove the balls(on the clone), and put it back into 24/0?

3. if all you're after is the pollen, just get some and store it in the freezer.

4. #4 Panda85, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2012
    well the thing is, i have some feminized seeds on the way also. i found this male in a bag of mixed seeds as freebies that are skunk1 and haze crosses. seems to be a strong male.

my goal is to produce a hybrid of the plant im currently growing(c99), and see how the offspring is. the male looks to be an indica dominant strain, and c99 is sativa dominant. im trying to make a better (c99) without so much branching and one with stronger branches with shorter node spacing. this male has the characteristics im looking for. id like to keep the male in a veg stage by keep taking clones but its a little late to chop the top. as of now i dont have enough node spacing to take a clone without removing all of the upper flower growth.

idk if i should just continue on with the cross and later try to reveg the male, take a clone now and reveg the clone, or just use the pollen and not worry about keeping the male since im sure ill find a male in the mix of seeds ill be getting from the hybrid.

i guess i wouldnt have much use for the male again since i want to keep most of the c99 genetics. so the hybrid would be crossed back to the original c99 2 or 3 times, if the original hybrid comes out as planned. if the c99 hybrid came out ok i could cross it with the seeds i ordered, which i planned on trying to cross the c99 with one of those, before i found this male...

5. if you're trying to breed for specific phenotypes, then you're gonna have to do a whole lot of work. you won't be able to get anything stable with just a couple of runs at making seeds.

6. for sure. i was originally going to create an ibl and isolate this phenotype of c99. instead of that im currently using cs to get some seed stock of the c99.. which i may later go back and create the ibl and single out the pheno. but for now im trying to cross the c99 with something similar with at least one of its parent strains. so a sk1 cross, nl5 cross or maybe even a fast flowering haze cross.

i want to keep it fast flowering but stronger branches. i cant get good yields off of this c99 since it cant support its own bud weight. i figured adding more of an indica dominant strain with similar parents would help that out.

7. i have no idea when to expect the pollen sacs to be ready for picking? any ideas? it is week 3 of flower for him. starting to get a little antsy leaving him in my flower tent with the girls. so im moving him. if i were to put it back at 24/0 would it start to veg again and also have the already visible pollen sacks continue maturing?

here is a picture of the boy =]
    [​IMG]