Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

RE:Deleted thread arguing against medical marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by MMJNoob, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Sorry to see this thread deleted, was looking to be a good exchange of ideas.

One poster suggested that patients should be more proactive in sharing which strains are best for which ailments. There are quite a few anecdotal accounts and lists to be found actually. The problem is that every strain effects each individual differently and there's no way to know the exact proportions of indica/satvia in each.

Wouldn't it be great if caregivers were able to test their product chemically and be able to tell patients just that? It would bring us closer to being able to compare different strains to illness a bit more empirically. It would allow caregivers to make more informed recommendations for individual patients based on an exact profile of cannaboids, THC, etc. in thier product.

I think this would be a good step toward the kind of standardization that Sam_Spade was advocating. Has anyone heard of this sort of testing available anywhere?

2. Man the first thing I did this morning was wake up to see the thread that got deleted.. darn.

3. Well, I know some dispensaries that list the effects of the strain they have. BPCC in Berkeley, for instance.

4. Greetings,

sorry about that, I was getting some very rude private messages and decided against keeping it up.

Yours Truly,
    Sam_Spade

5. how you going to start a debate and then get heat and delete the thread??? -rep if i could

6. Greetings,

Because a debate isn't a debate when it's composed of childish insults and various other ad hominems.

Yours Truly,
    Sam_Spade

7. Welcome to the Internet, sir!

8. <table summary="Industry Project Sativex - Investigational Cannabis-Based Treatmentfor Pain and Multiple Sclerosis" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="4" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td rowspan="4" valign="top">Sativex - Investigational Cannabis-Based Treatment for Pain and Multiple Sclerosis

Developed by GW Pharmaceuticals, Sativex is a whole plant medicinal cannabis extract indicated for relief of symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS) and for treatment of severe neuropathic-related cancer pain.
    Bayer has secured exclusive rights to market Sativex in the UK with the option to extend this to other countries in Europe and countries such as Canada, where Sativex received regulatory approval in 2005 for treatment of neuropathic pain associated with MS.
    In August 2007, Canadian regulators approved Sativex as adjunctive analgesic treatment in adult patients with advanced cancer pain. Sativex and a related tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) medicine have been investigated in phase III trials for the relief of cancer pain, an indication for which Bayer also has the option to market the drugs.
    "In Europe alone there are some 500,000 MS patients on top of the 4 million experiencing neuropathic pain."
    GW Pharmaceuticals has also entered into a long-term research and development alliance on medicinal cannabinoids with Otsuka Pharmaceutical, which gives Otsuka exclusive rights to develop and market Sativex in the US. The companies will jointly oversee clinical development and regulatory activities in the US.
    Having secured FDA approval to conduct trials of Sativex in patients with advanced cancer, whose pain is unrelieved by opioids, the companies are on schedule to conduct the first US efficacy trial of Sativex in neuropathic-related cancer pain in 2007.
    CANNABIS-BASED MEDICINES

Estimates suggest that between 10% and 30% of MS patients in Europe smoke cannabis to ease the pain and disabling symptoms of the disease. This activity is illegal and patients run the risk of prosecution. In the UK, cannabis-based medicines were in fact outlawed in 1968 after legislation banned doctors from prescribing tincture of cannabis. This preparation contained high concentrations of the active THC psychotropic ingredient and was popular among recreational cannabis users.
    The UK Government gave GW Pharmaceuticals special permission to investigate medicines derived from cannabis and has indicated that the law will be changed to allow doctors to prescribe them if approved by the MHRA. This would represent a major step forward for MS patients as for the first time they would have access to safe and effective cannabis-derived drugs on prescription.
    Sativex is a cannabis extract containing tetranabinex (THC) and nabidiolex (cannabidiol – CBD) as its principal component. It does not contain the active substance found in recreational cannabis and so patients taking Sativex will not become intoxicated. Sativex is administered by means of a spray into the mouth rather than smoked.
    To meet demands for this innovative drug, GW Pharmaceuticals has increased production of cannabis at its fortified greenhouses to 60t/y.
    CLINICAL TRIALS ON SATIVEX POINT TO GOOD EFFICACY AND SAFETY

Phase III placebo-controlled trials in about 350 patients with MS have shown that administration of Sativex as a sublingual spray is a safe and effective treatment for symptom relief. Compared with placebo, significantly more patients in the Sativex treatment arm experienced reduced neuropathic pain, spasticity, and sleep disturbances.
    Further phase III data on 189 MS patients supports the earlier registration trial data. Again, treatment with Sativex produced a statistically significant improvement over placebo in spasticity, the primary endpoint, (p <0.05). Other secondary endpoints, such as the Ashworth scale, also favoured Sativex over placebo. Overall, these data have shown that Sativex produces treatment effects over and above those achieved with existing medications, which patients were allowed to continue while taking part in the Sativex trial.
    Additional trials are also under way to assess the effectiveness of Sativex in treating neuropathic pain and spinal cord injury. Results from three phase III trials in patients with neuropathic pain showed that the addition of Sativex to standard therapy produced improvements over and above those obtained with existing medication. Patients in these trials had all failed to response to standard therapy and constituted a population with high clinical need.
    TREATMENT OF SEVERE NEUROPATHIC PAIN

Neuropathic pain, which is frequently chronic, arises when neurones in the brain or peripheral nervous system become hyper-sensitised and generate abnormal or prolonged impulses. There are many causes of neuropathic pain including diabetic neuropathy, post-herpetic neuralgia, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis and cancer. Around 40% of cancer patients suffer some degree of neuropathic pain.
    "Companies are on schedule to conduct the first US efficacy trial of Sativex in neuropathic-related cancer pain in 2007."
    Severe neuropathic pain has proved difficult to treat and evidence suggests that none of the available drugs, mainly opioids, is effective in more than 50% of patients. Thus, it represents an area of significant unmet clinical need. The encouraging data from the Sativex phase III registration trials in multiple sclerosis patients suggest cannabis-derived medicines may have a valuable place in this sector of the pain market.
    MARKETING COMMENTARY
    In Europe alone there are some 500,000 MS patients on top of the 4 million experiencing neuropathic pain. This fact, together with a market poorly served by currently available drugs, presents an excellent opportunity for Sativex if the encouraging results seen in multiple sclerosis are reproduced in other patient groups.
    Now that Sativex has been approved for clinical use in Canada, there are hopes that other countries will eventually follow the example set by the Canadian regulators.
    [​IMG] Click here for printable version

SPECIFICATIONS

</td> <td rowspan="4" style="width: 2px;" class="vert_line">
    </td> <td class="image_cell" valign="top"> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To meet demands for Sativex, GW Pharmaceuticals has increased production of cannabis at its fortified greenhouses to 60t/y. (Source: ABPI) </td></tr> <tr> <td class="image_cell" valign="top"> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Overview of new classes of pain relieving drugs in development. </td></tr> <tr> <td class="image_cell" valign="top"> [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Neuropathic pain, which is frequently chronic, arises when neurones in the brain or peripheral nervous system become hyper-sensitised and generate abnormal or prolonged impulses. (Source: ABPI) </td></tr> </tbody></table>

Home | New On This Site | Industry Projects | Products & Services | Jobs & Careers | Press Releases | Newsletter | Events & Exhibitions | Organisations | Advertise With Us

Copyright 2007SPG Media Limited a subsidiary of SPG Media Group PLC
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.com/scripts/sdc.js"></script><script language="JavaScript" src="http://213.52.141.248/dcsptutd57u1u6g3timirar8x_4y2p/wtid.js"></script><noscript>[​IMG]</noscript>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    <form class="white_header" action="/search.do" method="get" id="frmSearch" onsubmit="return checksearchterm();"> <table summary="Site Search" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td style="vertical-align: middle;"> [​IMG]<input name="baseId" value="1" type="hidden"></td> <td valign="middle"><label for="SearchButton"><input name="search" src="http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.com/images/magnify.gif" alt="Search" id="SearchButton" type="image"></label> </td></tr> </tbody></table> </form>
    <table border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="1" width="130"><tbody><tr><td width="5">
    </td><td>
    </td></tr> <tr><td class="navselect">
    </td><td class="navselectlink"></td></tr> <tr><td width="5">
    </td><td></td></tr> <tr><td width="5">
    </td><td></td></tr></tbody></table>
    [/quote]

9. Although i didnt agree with all your points, its dick people sent u rude PMs, thats just childish

10. Thats exactly what you get boss. Open your damn eyes. Dudes getting PMed insults and all sorts of gnarley shit yet you think its dumb that he closed the avenue that was bringing that crap in?

11. Im so sorry to see it turn out that way. While I didnt agree with you, you presented the topic and debate perfectly and objectively, and it was preparing to be a good discussion.
    Unfortunately, immaturity runs rampant on this forum, and from the getgo i knew your thread would be mostly composed of idiots spouting off.

I was getting ready to participate in that thread too, but hadnt yet found the time to write up a post.
    Ah well, better luck next time, and cheers to productive discussion.

12. Wow, some people just REALLY dont get it.

must... try .... not ... to use.... sarcasm.... ...

What you misunderstand is he didnt get "heat" as in response, he got shit, as in name-calling and shit-talking.
    He was looking for discussion not idiocy. Most ppl here have a terrible idea of what discussion is.

success!

13. umm.. its the internet.. open your eyes sir?

14. uhh so he lets words bring him down? lol.. i think you kids are chilidish lol. grow up if you cant take pms of ppl calling him names then i might as well call you 5 years old. i dont understand how ppl over the internet can get to people. lol you all blow my mind

some of us were actually participating in a good debate and i was looking forward to what he was going to repost in response to a huge reply i made.. lol

15. Ah, I didnt know this I wasnt monitoring the thread.

Thats too bad, from his description it sounded like he wasnt able to get anything productive from the conversation, but he probably just had to see through the bullshit posts. :smoke:

16. exactly