RDWC: What are the best GPH aqua pumps?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Fluffyhobbit, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Hi,

Right now i'm currently using a DWC 4 gallon reservoir with just an air stone in there. I want to try out a RDWC but I don't know what fish pump I should look for or how many GPH is necessary?

What should I be looking for with a 4 gallon reservoir? Right now I don't even have a PH meter just using GH pH solution that turns colors to tell you the range :rolleyes: Monitoring PH levels more consistently will be much easier with higher GPH righ???

2. Im not sure on your question but I have one myself for you.When using the GH ph tester how do you test the ph of the nutrient solution?

3. you can't really unless you have a separate reservoir that you keep and test nutrients in there. I literally just dump nuts into my reservoir, then PH every 15 minutes until it gets right. but everyday it changes up or down a little bit.

If I have a 4 gallon reservoir, how many GPH (Gallons Per Hour) do I need to be pumping through? For example, a 93 GPH pump is recirculating 1.5 gallons per minute. How many times should your entire reservoir be circulated each hour?

4. I recently finished my RDWC. I have 6 5 gallon buckets being fed by a 40 gallon reservoir. My pump is something like 633 GPH which fills my buckets much faster than they drain. I have to manually activate and deactivate my pump or my buckets overflow in about a minute. I'm going to size way down to a pump that's maybe 100 GPH. You could fill your bucket up with water and see how long it takes to drain. I would go small, especially if you are running the pump 24/7 because if you pump faster than the bucket drains you will overflow. 40 GPH is the smallest pump I've seen.