RDWC vs Undercurrent

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by mike45214, Oct 1, 2016.

1. I'm looking for some input from growers who have done more than a few grows with each system. What I would like to know are the benefits each system has for speed and vigor on plants and the downfalls. Also what are any problems you've had with each. I just built a RDWC system and I'm considering converting it to an Undercurrent system so that's why I'm looking for info from people who have done both.

Sent from my iPhone

2. So no one here has ran both or is it that no one wants to take the time to reply?

3. Undercurrent is a style of rdwc... It's what I built/use for my flower system. My veg buckets are somewhat an overflow rdwc.
    It depends on how someone has implemented the recirculating that dictates what type it really is and how well it may perform. Done right, any system will perform well.
    What did you build that you are calling RDWC?

4. An RDWC of course. I know you're asking cause some people concoct things and call it whatever they want, but this is my current setup.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone

5. Okay... Yeah, there's nothing wrong with your setup. Provided you're getting good equal flow and level in each bucket.
    Problems down the line can be the return tubes getting clogged with roots once the plants get big. Can happen with undercurrent too if plumbing is too small.
    I can't say that a true Current Culture undercurrent system would yield any better than even a simple bubble bucket.
    Makes things a little easier being recirculating, in that you have the benefits that come with a remote reservoir. Which you have.
    Not sure I'm really helping... lol
    I do like the undercurrent type system though. Basically the hygohybrid style. Mine grows massive plants.
    He stumbles a little in the beginning, but gives pretty good detail on the build. The filter thing isn't needed though.

My build is same principle. Well, actually I threw out the tubs I had been using and got some 150 quart coolers that will be the grow containers. Getting ready to redo my whole room...
    Anyway, that's the style I'll stick with.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #6 Dro Smoe, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    I have used both as well and find the only benefit to rdwc is the ease of res changes and balance within the solution; although it doesn't negate the risk of contamination. In other words, when one plant is infected with a pathogen (root rot for example), they all are, as they're sharing the same solution. Not to mention, different strains have different appetites for nutrients - calcium and magnesium in particular. If you're running a recirculating system it would be most efficient to stick with the same strain in every bucket (all clones would be even better), or strains that have similar feeding habits.

7. Hey buddy .... I cant tell ya one is better than the other because all I tried and still use is this GENERAL HYDROPONICS system called water pack acs. Its a 4x waterfarms connected together and to a 5th main (controller) res with a topoff res that sits above the controller res!. I modified the waterfarms by adding holes to the top co tainer which sits above each individual res. Those holes allow the roots that are growin in hydrocorns to dangle and dip in the nute solution in a DWC fashion.
    This system uses air pumps to pump the water up from every res to the roots. It also uses air pumps to circulate the water. They claim that using the air pumps to do the water pumps work aids in increasing the DO (or aeration) and reducing the water temp by not requiring a water pump.
    Regardless of of their claims, i see that this system does an incredible job. You can check my current and previous grows using this modified water pack
    Happy growin brother

Check out my new QuadStrain grow :
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1416641/
    and my previous TriStain grow :
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/1383100/

8. I actually watched that about 2 years ago. That guy knows his shit for sure! I finally settled on a undercurrent setup and converted it earlier today. I went with an 800gph pump and that thing is moving some serious water. Only thing I'll need to do in the future is switch to 2in and get bigger buckets. Thanks for showing me the light.

9. I converted a Waterfarm system to a drip system that is on a raised platform higher than the rez. A RSWC (S is for shallow). My reason was that I have less nutes in the lines and buckets, and when I adjust the PPM, or PH, in the rez, I have less of a swing as the nutes in the lines etc. recirc back into what I have just adjusted. Also a majority of my nutes have a easier time staying cool, not having to drip into a large amount of warm nutes that have been setting in buckets under the lights. I don't think there is a silver bullitt, and it will always be different for each persons setup. I hope this helps

• Like Like x 1