RDWC Tube Sizing

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by monvrch, May 19, 2019.

1. So I'm attempting to switch my whole system over to RDWC using the waterfall method.

I'm at the hydro store last night and showed the guy which pump I have. He suggested using 3/4" tubing throughout the whole system. So I took his suggestion. Only to get back and find out my pump has a 1-1/4" inlet and a 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" outlet.
    So I connected all the buckets together and tried connecting the 3/4" tubing I just got to the 3/4" part of the pump and it doesn't fit. It's too small and won't go over the fitting on the pump outlet. It was pretty close so I just heated up the tubing and stretched it over it. The inlet wasn't even close so I just ran the pump in submersible mode.

The pump was pumping the water too fast and my external reservoir was getting empty before the water from the other 4 grow buckets could level off the reservoir bucket.

Looking for help on which is the best tubing and fittings for my pump. Or should I just get a different pump.

2. oh the collection of tubing and adapters!
    If the pump is draining the res too fast, you will need to set it (like I did) for 5 on/10 off (or something similiar).
    That pump, can you take the front cover off and screw in an adapter? check. The front should just pop off, and you shouldn't need to submerse it.
    The specialized tubing (black hydro) should be heated in boiled water and slipped on. They do this on purpose so that there is no other clamp required.
    Your pump accommodates for 3/4" so there shouldn't be any problem.
    picture would be nice for this, kinda not seeing it in my groggy old mind.

3. It can be ran inline but the dimension is 1-1/4" and I don't have an adapter. All I have is the 3/4" hose
    I'll get a picture up as soon as i can. Right now I'm finishing manicuring and then I'm gonna cut down the other half that's been flushing for the past week and trim that too. After that I'll start messing with the buckets again.

4. Couldn't get a pic being as though since it was leaking I had to take it all apart while draining. I drew you up a quick diagram of what I'm trying to put together.

Hydro Chart.jpg

5. You need large drain plumbing .
    Those systems are prone to leak and the roots plug up the drain. Plumbing. Where the pump is should be you main reservoir as in larger then the ones the plants grow in . I had a aeroponinc system for 20 plants . It was plagued with problems. 20190424_083947.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. I want the reservoir outside of the tent so I can have the option to do the maintenance if the light is on or off.
    I don't have a problem with bigger drainage lines, it's just hard to find 1-1/4 black tubing. Should I just go with PVC

7. Right , most of us would .
    Problem is there are allot of little kinks to work out , and who is into moping up water .

8. Those systems are prone to leaking water.

If your putting in a 100 gal main reservoir and your growing 5 plants that 20 gallon per plant .
    Twenty gallon grow containers isnt that expensive and no external plumbing .

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nice setup.
    As far as the leaks, I just planned on adding some silicone which is what I almost did from the beginning.
    This is a diagram of what I'm thinking about doing. Can you make some sort of diagram of what you're proposing.

Hydro Chart 2.jpg

We're getting old.

• Like Like x 1
  10. getting? ha!
    I think your system will work fine, but take a look at Current Culture H2O systems, or similar. Some people prefer their bulkheads and other parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Can you give size of grow room
    What strain you will be growing .

No offense but not all nutrients work ,some slim up your tank root your roots.
    So if you have never grown hydroponics before I need to know ..

Straight up you need good led grow lights .
    Like the Samsung QB's then you need 28 watts per square foot .

I have experience growing up to 20 plants out of one reservoir.
    I need to know what strains as in sativa or indica?
    Do you have a ro system.?

12. No RO system but my faucet PPM is 130.
    I'm going to be using Advanced Nutrients Sensi Grow A&B for veg stage and General Hydroponics MaxiBloom for bloom stage.
    I have done hydroponics. I currently have a hydro grow going right now.
    I have a 4x8x7 tent and 3 4x4x7 tents.
    I have plently of QB boards.
    Strains are currently indica but I have plans to dabble with sativa

13. Indica would be three large plants per 4x8 x7 tent.
    Or two large sativa plants.
    Everything changes from one stain to another strain
    They way I am trying to things I'd be able to move my plants from a veg grow room to s flowering tent.
    My totes have wheels on the back of them.
    It's really tough to two small plants in one 4x8 tent .
    I have a walk in closet and two 4x8 grow tents
    My amnesia haze had a 10 to 12 flowering time
    My berry white is 7 to 9 weeks I believe .
    As soon as my plants finish flowering I want a match set of either two sativa's or three indica plants ready to be put into flowering
    The way I do it I dont transplant .except from the cloner to the tub .

14. .
    Are you moving your plants around?

15. How long do you veg for to only have 3 plants per 4x8x7. I currently have 3 in there and only taking up half the tent.

I made them portable by putting the air stone in the lid. I can pick up the lid/plant/air stone and swap it to any location.

16. So my current plan is to go to home depot and get 1-1/4" pvc and fittings and make a drainage system out of those. And just use the 3/4" tubing and fittings for the main water line.

17. I have .my plants in veg for 8 to 10 weeks
    I grow larger plants . 20190517_095433.jpg these got a little to big ...I was in the hospital for about 10 weeks

• Like Like x 2
  18. @Headhunterpipes I'm thinking on doing 8 smaller plants per 4x8. Veg maybe 6 weeks. So theoretically I should have a harvest every 6-7 weeks.

@trojangrower I just subscribed. He has some pretty big ones and he says he only vegges 3-4 weeks.

• Like Like x 1