RDWC - 1st Time

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by lilmink, Aug 10, 2021.

1. After a few years of soil moving on to hydro. Attached is the diagram I used and pictures of my system. 5x6 space. How much LED wattage should I be aiming for, for ultimate yield? Any other advice, suggestions, critiques before I get started?

Attached Files:

2. Looks like a solid setup
    However, it might not be a bad idea to double, maybe even triple the drain size. You’ll find that the roots will always follow current and too many of them in the drains can result in floods if your pipes got clogged.

Personally I’d also reverse the current. Better to pull from the control bucket and pump into the roots. Either way will work just fine though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Your gonna have issues with roots clogging lines……. Should be running 3” return tubing. Then run a 500gph or higher feeding pump with 1/2”-3/4” tubing…. That’s just my opinion, I run a loop myself and hate it….. just waiting to upgrade

• Like Like x 1
  4. I just built this in a few days what is the alternative?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Current culture 3” bulk heads and 3” pvc….. I am running 1” hose and it clogs all the time.

6. Can I cover the openings with mesh?

7. I guess but that’s just more of something for roots to wrap around (I have watched others try with horrible failing results, personally I have never tried) …… no joke, they will straight up make knots to clog lines…….

• Like Like x 2
  8. My system has about 60 gallons of water in it. What size air pump do I need? What are the best air stones to get?

9. How do I get the water levels correct in all totes?

10. Works good about stopping roots going down the lines, but once every 2 weeks stick ye hand in there and move the roots around.
    Everything must be level for correct water levels.
    My pump.
    My air pump.