Rattle in my new fanless ballast... store says its normal. Is it?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by butwhole, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Just got a new Phantom II digital ballast delivered, & when I opened the box I noticed a rattling sound inside, like there's a loose part in it. So I contacted the seller for an RMA. They said it's a piece of resin that broke loose, & that it happens to a lot of fanless ballasts. They said it's no big deal.

So....has anybody experienced this? If it's normal, I can save myself the $30 or so bucks that it'll cost to ship this heavy ass thing back for a replacement. Thanks for any feedback

2. Personally don't have them can't comment on that, but if it were me any I had a rattling part in any equipment I would ship it back if it was banged hard enough to break resin loose who know if any components are damaged. I always seem to have bad luck with electronics getting shipped but I always just bite the bullet and take the extra time to get a fully functional product. Sorry I couldn't give you any insight to your ballast and sorry you have to go through this ordeal that sux.

G

3. So....any input from somebody who DOES know about this?[​IMG]

4. #4 azfox, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
    I purchased two Phantom II ballasts a couple of years ago. They did not rattle when I received them. They have been working great! I can't advise whether to return yours or not, but if it were me, I would like to start with equipment that doesn't come pre-loaded with a rattle, even though it may be just resin. I've searched the net and only found a couple of instances of the ballasts rattling, but there were no conclusive answers as to what they did to resolve it. Phantom makes a great product, but the rattle would concern me a bit I guess. Personal call on whether to return it! Hope someone can give you a more definitive answer, but, for me, I would send it back and get one that doesn't.....saves you from possible problems later on. They get hot, so the resin may melt in there somehow....just my two cents! [​IMG]    Another thought....are they willing to stand behind their warranty even though it rattles? 

5. #5 butwhole, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2015
    The weird thing is, they said if I send it back & the rattle turns out to be resin, they'd have to send me a ballast with a fan as a replacement. I specifically don't want a ballast with a fan, because it's an unnecessary part that's a potential weak link in the system.

The place is AWFUL on the customer service end. I can't imagine selling someone a defective item, & then making that customer pay the shipping cost to return the item, & then replacing it with a product the customer doesn't want. The customer service there is so crappy, I've decided it's no longer worth the few bucks I saved by shopping there. From now on, I'm spending the extra money to buy stuff locally whenever possible.

My temptation is to just open the thing up & see what's in there. I'm assuming a company with practices like this probably won't honor a warranty, either. I might have to just consider this $280 down the toilet & a lesson learned.

6. Wow! That is REALLY bad C/S! Sounds like bait and switch to get rid of even cheaper crap! Yep! Unfortunately, you seem to be stuck. I'd go ahead and use the ballast and buy a backup from someone who has good C/S. I've had great success with HTG Supply on all of my grow room needs. Anywhere sounds better than where you bought that one! I bought some HPS bulbs from a 'cheaper' supplier....one blew out completely after a week!!!! Learned my lesson there too. Now I use the higher priced items (within reason price-wise) and leave my troubles behind! ;) New parts can go bad, but I'd rather spend the extra bux and get something that I don't have to replace a week or two later. Many lessons to be learned! I've been there too! Not worth the headaches! Rock on!!! [​IMG]

7. Is it the place that purchased it that says its normal or did phantoms customer service say its normal? If its a warranty issue contact phantom if you ordered through another supplier

8. I actually contacted the company who makes the ballast & asked that same question. They haven't gotten back to me.
    Is it just me, or has the internet killed the art of customer service?

9. That's not what I was asking. I was wondering who you spoke with. Sellers aren't the ones who issue warranties, the manufacturer is, so contact the manufacturer. Call the manufacturer if they didn't answer your email in a timely fashion. When did you message them?

10. That's what I'm saying: I DID contact the manufacturer (HydroFarm). They didn't get back to me. This was 2 days ago, via email. The only people I've spoken with were the sellers (monstergardens), & they don't seem interested in giving me what I paid for.