Rastafarian Practices and 420

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by _OneLove_, Aug 17, 2010.

1. I'm just kinda curious where the date 4/20 came from for "national everyone smoke weed" day. anyone know the origin? Because for rastafarians, April 21st is "the anniversary of Haile Selassie's visit to Jamaica. Also known as "Groundation Day"." Haile Selassie was what rastafarian's believe was the reincarnation of jesus.

and Groundation Day is "A "groundation" (or "grounation") or "binghi" is a holy day;[14] the name "binghi" is derived from "Nyabinghi", believed to be an ancient, and now extinct, order of militant blacks in eastern Africa that vowed to end oppression. Binghis are marked by much dancing, singing, feasting, and the smoking of ganja, and can last for several days."

so do rastafarians celebrate 4/20 on 4/21? haha.
    just something random i came across.

2. Supposedly, "420" began as the time of day a group of kids at San Rafael High School known as the "Waldos" would meet after school to smoke herb.

From one of the Waldos...

3. I celebrate 4/20 and groundation day, but my groundation day is spent reading and listening to music. I usually start by making an epic veggie meal to follow in the ital diet, then build a chalice out of a gourd (have a shit ton around my house). Spend the rest of the day meditating and smoking from my chalice or papers, no tobacco or alcohol on this day. This year, my friend came over with her nyabinghi drum and we had a little sesh in my backyard, it was a good day. JAH BLESS!:D

HIM Ras Tafari's birthday is fast approaching as well, so i will be hoarding herb until the glorious day we celebrate the forthcoming of the conquering lion.

4. Rasta is not always religious, rasta can be secular. zion is not only for black rastas. the humanist theory needs to be applied to the whole world if we are to find peace.