Rastafari

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by BlueRuin, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Hi guys, so I've really been getting into some more reggae music lately and alot of it contains messages about the Rastafari movement (duh). The music has peaked my interest towards the Rastafari faith. I've done some basic research around the web (read some wiki articles etc...) and think I have a basic idea of what the faith is about. I was wondering if any more experienced smokers have ever done any research on this subject and could recommend some books, articles, essays etc? or if any experienced toker happens to be a Rastafari and could give me some more insight that would be awesome too. Thanks guys :smoke:

2. Are you white? From what I heard, and I'm sure its lies and misinformation, a key part of Rastafarianism is hatred of the Western world and white people.

I hope thats not true, but if you've ever been to Jamaica....

3. From what I've read seems to be a Christian offshoot and believes an Ethiopian prince that visited Jamaica is a prophet of God.

Correct me if I'm wrong

4. #4 TexRx, Jan 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
    Bob Marley is a good source of info. The documentaries about him have lots of clips of him taking about Rastafari,.....here....
    And, generally, you have to be special to be a white Rastafarian. Just admire the music and the message if you're white

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPD-KA-i0A]YouTube - Bob Marley Interview new Zealand[/ame]

5. Yes I am white lol but I also think that a key part of Rastafari faith is the seeking of wisdom, so I dont think anyone would condem me for inquiring lol

6. Oh, I wasn't saying that I was interested in converting... I'm just interested in learning more about the faith. Sorry if that was unclear

7. I don't think and real Rasta would mind your interest in Rastafari

:)

8. That Ethiopian prince you speak of is Hailie Seliassie I, who was a follower of the Christian Orthodox faith. An interesting tidbit is that although Rastafarians saw him as the messiah, Selaissie did not consider himself one. After all, his faith was in God. When a group of Rastas came onto his grounds, he ordered his guards to get them off the property. However, this is just something I read in a book on Ethiopia, you can take it for what it is.

I found this poster amusing. I hope it does not offend anyone.

[​IMG]

9. #9 TexRx, Jan 31, 2011
    Haille Selassie's other name is Ras Tafari (first name/last name) put the 2 together and you get Rastafari. He's considered a christ figure.

Rastafarianism was created by a man named Marcus Garvey

It's a black power movement that resists government and uses cannabis as a sacrament

It's also a "collage" of specific quotes from the bible that re-inforce their beliefs

10. #10 SsmokeWeed, Jan 31, 2011
    Quoted for truth.

I think a lot of kids (OP, I'm not calling you one of these "kids") see Rastafari and go "OMGWTFBBQ! They smoke weed as a religion and listen to cool music and want peace and smoke weed! I wanna be that"

That of course is an exaggeration but I see a lot of this happening, or at least what looks like a similar situation.
    I think it's a cool religion and wouldn't have a problem having Rasta friends and shit but it's not what I believe to be as true. I admire their message and their view of the world, it's wise. But I don't like copycats.

11. #11 Judgement, Jan 31, 2011
    ohh my Lord... I really didn't even want to reply to this discussion, decided to do so anyways, typed out my post and suddenly everything I had written disappeared..

The nearest English equivalent to "Ras" is Duke, it is a title, not a first name. The replies in this discussion have even me confused and I could continue correcting the quoted post, and the rest of the posts.. but I will leave it at, this probably isn't the best place to seek out info, and likewise either is the internet.

Most Books, papers or essays out there were written by outsiders, and much of the info posted around the internet by "Rastafarians" comes from pothead christians who like reggae music.

One book I will recommend without having ever reading it "Overstanding Rastafari: Jamaica's Gift to the World" by Yasus Afari. Taking from wiki "a work by a Rastafarian scholar who is interpreting for the non-Rastafarian audience his perspective. Not idiosyncratically his own, but the view of the movement on where Jamaica and the world are positioned at this time"

12. #12 TexRx, Jan 31, 2011
    ^^^^ Judgement,

You're point is moot if you don't make one. Just because you lost it doesn't mean it still stands - I never saw it - and I also don't see any corrections

A title is not much different than a first name - I wasn't far off

Also, are you just gonna send us off to books to find our answers or are you actually going to state some facts?

AND to have a stereotype of "pothead chistians who like reggae music" is kinda gross.....I think a devout Rasta wouldn't like it much

13. I retyped my reply, it wouldn't come back with undo or redo. I answered his question, he asked about papers, essays or books, I mention one book. That is all.

14. Rastafari has evolved since its inception.

The way i see it, it is a political (or rather anti-Political) movement for the liberation of ALL people from the throes of Babylon (society which purposefully pits people against each other, led by faceless corporations and greedy, rich, mostly white, male bastards).

Those who say Rasta is only for black people are falling into the same pit from which they are trying to escape.

The world needs to be liberated. The entire world should be Zion. Those are the true principles of Rasta, freedom for ALL PEOPLE.

God doesn't have to be involved. All of the above aspects are compatible with Atheism. I myself consider myself rasta in this regard, and I know Rastas who are black, white, and even Japanese who see it the same way.

Most importantly it's what you see in it. To me, Rastafari stands for freedom, rejection of the oppressive World norms, and for the eventual liberation of mankind from perpetual poverty, greed, injustice, prejudice, and violence.

15. Ok.....this time J/K

:smoke:

16. Didn't bob marley refuse to have his cancerous toe amputated (and subsequently die) because of some retarded rastafari belief?

17. #17 TexRx, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
    I know He refused to have the lead bullet removed from his elbow from when he was shot....

And He put off getting his damaged toe looked for a long time at after his soccer injury

Cannabis is a healing herb to Rastas - maybe he felt so strongly about the herb's healing power that he still thought he was OK?!?!

18. Rastas also have a vegetarian/vegan diet

That's something most people don't realize until further investigation

19. Fish/Seafood is allowed, just no scavengers

20. I love the Rasta one and the Jehovah one.

"Knock, knock, Oh shit"