Rasta view point

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deck-ter, Jan 15, 2010.

1. You sir are going against everything you just said with your accusations. To me , that's pretty close-minded.

2. #22 Sam_Spade, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2010
    Nope and I didn't claim to. I was simply rebutting your commentary on the existence of instinctive ethnic knowledge. It's defining a generalized limitation, which is the basis of "close minded". I could easily be wrong, and I encourage you to express your disagreement. I'm making an inference here, not a judgment -- the distinction is that it's tentative.

Well I'm not one of those individuals. I don't pretend to know their value system as a group. I'm sure there is a wide range of rationales and values which lead them to such a conclusion. I'd assess their convictions individually, because I know of no consistent or defined structure, unlike ecclesiastics. Individualistic cults are so much more susceptible to the variable of individual interpretation.

How so? Please do illustrate your contention.

3. its all good man , i understand you now

4. your right joedod you cold never be a rastafarian if you are white, which shows the ludacris of it, Its no ones fault what color their born, just gota take people as people, evil everywhere. As for the grooming hair and not all rastas got to have dreads eventually they would. Rastas believe they are a lost tribe of judah and follow the nazarite sect, so they can never cut the hair of their head. But the fact that haile selassie was a devout christian and said he was not the mesiah should be the first heads up. Rastas deff got some good beliefs mainly ones they carried over from judaism.

5. But i could deff see how all the trustafarians going to college on their rich parents money walking around their frat house with rasta colors and their bob marley poster would start to piss you off, it does me. (interesting note marley converted to christianity few days before he died and also did u know that ethopia was the first ever nation to claim they where a "christian nation")

6. one more thing jah is term for God used in the old testement so to say a white person or anyother race especially the jewish cant worship "jah" come on.....?

7. heh this thread got bizzar quick..

8. No kidding... and Richard Evans Schultes, Wade Davis, Andrew Weil, Tim Leary, and Dennis / Terence McKenna shouldn't dare talk about indigenous Amazonian shamanism :rolleyes:

You are being closed-minded. "You cannot be rastafarian if you are white" is one of the most narrow-minded assumptions you can make. Skin color has absolutely nothing to do with Rastafarianism; they are opposed to the cultural corruption of caucasians, but white people certainly are welcome.

So, "mon", can you enlighten us with the knowledge you possess on the religion? You make it sound like you have such deep-seated wisdom, yet you spew garbage that doesn't represent the belief system at all, so I'm curious where your egotistical impressions come from.

9. vitamin, Now whites could be accepted and i understand it was more about battling babylon (but they believe whites have always had control of babylon) But traditional rastafarianism had a very black supremecy idea. I think people are more about defending the religion cause its trendy and you get to smoke alot of herb so no one ever points out the hipocrisy in it or the things that dont add up

10. I do not associate myself with rastafari, but i do agree with a lot of their mentality and have been to Ethiopia to see real rasta at work. These men and women did not have dreads, did not smoke herb, they lived normal lives just like everyone else, but they had different viewpoints on religion and faith than the christians in the nation. They do promote black pride and encourage others to as well, but they do not over express their religion or prey on the whites. Many of the now living rasta in Jamaica are honestly misguided, they have lost a lot of the original rasta ways due to increased tourism and their association with herb. There are a lot of fakers there, people who just grow and sell herb claiming to be rasta, but do not follow in the faith and use that label as a sort of cover like many of the medical marijuana "patients" here in cali do.

11. Show me an example, because I don't quite follow with you when you say that "traditional rastafarianism had a very black-supremacy idea (sic)" ??

12. an example like documentation from a book? yea im just saying that one of their main prophet marcus garvey promoted black nationalism and black separtism and traditionally before this whole fad majority of your rastas thought the white man was evil, wanted nothing to do with them(their hate is understandable but its just as racist assume every white is the same)

13. Ahh, I see, we're talking about the manifestation of Rastafarianism as it relates to certain people, not the abstract concept of rastafarianism itself? Certainly the application of a belief through a person is what allows ideas like this to form; because, let's face it, someone who was a "Rastafarian" in the 1920s may share different beliefs with a "Rastafarian" from 2010, and likewise our impressions of what "Rastafarianism" is may be different if we are looking at it from the perspective of the 1920s era and present-day.

What I'm trying to say is, we should not look towards people as representations, otherwise we can come up with any conclusion. We can say, from one event, any number of things.

14. word. I can deff agree with that

15. #36 Judgement, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2010
    Well, usually I bring one line comments stay away and from threads like this like dey the plague, , but some intresting posts here so let mi join in..

Black Supremacy: To this day Black Supremacy is part of the E.A.B.I.C. (Bobo Shanti)

Good point in some ways, an example would be early Rasta started stockpiling weapons for a revolution before deciding to achieve their goals by more peaceful means . Thing to remember though (I'll use your time line) beliefs from a Rastafarian in the 1920s and Rasta of 2010 may differ in some ways, but then again they just may be from a differnt house of Rastafari. Different Houses started up at different times in History, and for the most part the themes and tenant of each house remain intact through the years. Although some themes and ideas have been discarded though the years, some of Leonard P. Howell's teachings being put aside as another example.

One thing I have been noticing every time I see a thread like this is people like to mash up and meld all belief systems together, which causes a lot of confusion and misinformation.

16. If you love "rastafarianism" you don't call it "rastafarianism"..

17. I had a really hard time making out what he was saying.

18. I love patois! Then again I grew up in a Caribbean neighborhood.

19. #40 AHuman, Jan 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2010

Just curious about a few points bud.

The Rastafari movement rejects Babylon and white oppression and such. But how do you feel about black people who actively support the systems of white oppression/dominance, say a rich black CEO looking out only for himself (in the process, benefiting 'Babylon' etc) who also believes in the religion and considers themself a Rasta?

How do you feel about 'civilised' ethnic groups (the majority of which, as a general rule, live in cities, work, rent accomodation and such much like white folk) such as Chinese, Arabs, Malays etc being Rastas? Or Australian Aboriginals, American Indians etc who are a part of 'white society' (though I suppose the same applies to African Americans) being Rastas?

Also, on a personal level, how would you feel about myself (Caucasian mother, Indian father) being a Rasta? :smoking: I'm not a supernaturalist and thus reject any kind of God, and though I respect the movement I have no intention of joining, but as a half blood how would I be viewed?