Rapid rooter or nothing

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by kesaber, Apr 3, 2015.

1. I recently purchased some rapid rooters because I thought I was sure that was the route I wanted to go because it is the easiest route (I read) and I am new to growing. I was recently playing with germination methods and I tried throwing seeds in a glass of water as well as the paper towel method. What I saw was that certain seeds germinated faster and then I read about people choosing those seeds because they were growing more aggressively. 

Finally, my question: Should I germinate seeds in a cup of water/paper towel to find the best seeds and give it a head start and then drop the seed directly into the clay balls in my aerocloner, or would it be easiest for me to just use the rapid rooters? The rooters would not go to waste either way; I would have other uses for them, just curious what you all think would be best for my situation. Thanks

2. I swear by rapid rooters man :D, been using them for a while now. Just popped 17 beans 2 days ago...I have 15 seedlings today :)

3. Keep the equation simple.
    Paper towel, then straight to the balls after you've got a few inches of tap root.

4. When reading about the rooter it says drop the seed in the hole and pinch the top together to close the hole at the top. I can't seem to cover the hole and I can see the seed. Is this an issue?

5. Just take some tweezers or something and rip off a small piece of the rooter, fluff it up, and cover the hole.

6. What type of hydro system?

Rapid rooters, just like rockwool cubes, can be problematic and inhibit root development in some systems like DWC and E&F.