Ranting with Old Americans

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by LeonardoDGarden, Aug 14, 2012.

1. The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments. - George Washington

As countless examples across the globe can attest to, people with a reasonably comfortable life tend not to cause trouble, as much of their time tends to be taken up living reasonably comfortable lives and enjoying them as much as possible. During these times, governments (ours in particular) have a history of running amok (while being ignored by a complacent constituency), and making a bunch of silly rules like letting politicians set their own wages, allowing major corporations to avoid paying taxes, and outlawing cannabis. It is to the last of these that I'd like to draw your attention.

It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it. - George Washington

Since the consumption of cannabis has not been shown to be harmful even in large amounts, the federal government has no right to deny the sovereignty of those states that have by due democratic process proclaimed it to be legal. That is it treated as illegal by armed federal forces in the face of a legal majority vote in California is an affront to not only the principles of democracy, but to the very union of states that collectively form the United States of America. Even the nation's seat of the federal government; Washington D.C. has voted to allow medical marijuana use, and still the federal government continues to defy the populace, science, and reason in this matter. Give us our weed, or give us a scientific reason in plain English why not.

Laws made by common consent must not be trampled on by individuals. - George Washington

One of the travesties of the current political climate, is that the government “of the people, by the people, and for the people” seems to be overly influenced by individuals that do not have an understanding of the actual plights of the people. Any federal employee at any level that will not abide by the collective will of the American people that they work for should be replaced with ones that will, starting with the US Attorneys for medical marijuana states. Our government is supposed to work for all of us, not just those with the money and power.

It is to be regretted that the rich and powerful too often bend the acts of government to their own selfish purposes. - Andrew Jackson

If you have two small children, and two cookies, and one child grabs both cookies, in polite society the child is taught that this behavior is inappropriate, rude, mean, and selfish. However, when this same behavior is exhibited by the American rich, it is not only tolerated, but in some cases perversely admired. We take it on baseless faith that someone in the government will keep the rich from completely bleeding the rest of the country dry for their own selfish gain, but the rich keep getting richer, and the growing number of poor keep getting hungrier. Either we need to start taking responsibility for the mess we've been led into and fix it ourselves, or start putting the sort of people in office that will lead us out of it. Some CEOs make over a hundred times what their common workers make, suggesting that they somehow can accomplish in value 4,000 man hours worth of work in a week to a normal employee's 40.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln

The system simply cannot withstand being as top heavy as it is. The upper crust is as always a welfare class the rest of us pay for to relieve us of the burden of teaching them how to behave like civilized human beings instead of crazed magpies grabbing for all that glitters and is within reach. A person who gathers and hoards more food and newspapers than they can ever use might be considered crazy, but those that hoard more valuable resources like money and property than they can ever use are somehow considered cut from a different cloth.

The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer. form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

The American Dream isn't dead, it's just been beaten down until it's hard to recognize anymore, the rich and powerful have the deck stacked in their favor, and there doesn't seem like there is much that can be done about it. But there can be, one step at a time, and one of those steps can be to not give up on changing the laws in the United States to reflect the needs of her people. There are always going to be rich cats living better off than average folk, it's how things wind up, but it's about time they started going back to leaving the rest of us big enough table scraps to get by on. People are getting hungry and scared, and that's not good for us as a nation. At the very least, we can take back our weed from them as a start.

2. well im disappointed.

i wanted to rant about shit with some old people.

3. So weed is illegal, cry more that hasnt stopped you yet has it?

Oh btw tl;dr

4. I'm an old person, but the only time I rant about shit is when I'm constipated.

5. #5 1badbruce, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2012
    There are always going to be rich cats living better off than average folk, it's how things wind up, but it's about time they started going back to leaving the rest of us big enough table scraps to get by on. People are getting hungry and scared, and that's not good for us as a nation. At the very least, we can take back our weed from them as a start.

I'm also getting to the point of being old, I guess it depends on your perspective.

After being an adult(that also depends on your perspective) for more than fourty years, after having earned my place at the table through sweat, hard work, luck, priviledge of being born at the right time & in the right place & the right color I'm supposed to vacate my seat & give it to those who did nothing more that being born & make demands?
    They're smoking far too much dope & believing the bullshit that they spout to whomever is silly enough to listen, all the while thinking that they're entitled to my seat because the they say so.
    The arrogance of these pricks is amazing. I'm not going to tell them that they should come 'packing', I'll just let them figure that one out.

I grew up with the elite leaving enough scraps at the table to make life comfortable enough for those willing to work for it. And those for whatever reason who wouldn't and/or couldn't work for it were given enough to get by, generation after generation after generation, catch my drift.

They live in the greatest society ever produced by mankind, from a starting point higher and better off than any generation before them & they're crying all of the way to the demonstration to hear some 1%er/rich guy speak (Michael Moore) speak.

The left was lying in the 60's just like their lying now. My generation screwed this country up worse than any before it, almost to the point of not being repairable.
    It would be nice if the current generation fared better but the problem with that is those who are willing to work to make the necessary changes are either corrupt going in or become corrupt by the machine & wind up filling their own pockets.

People want to make changes to the system, fine. Change it. But do it from the inside. If they tear down the current system in order to fix it they only leave the door open for those who'd destroy it permenantly & replace it with one of their own choosing.

Think Hitler in the 30's & think of today's version of the nazi's. Those who would exterminate an entire people by means of genocide for no other reason than to impose their own religion/totalitarism over the entire world.

To those who'd change it, fine. But first wake & then grow up.

Cheers:smoke:

6. Even slaves usually get to eat every day and sleep indoors. If there are not jobs to work at, it isn't the fault of those who want to work but don't have the chance to.