Random: So Im an HFA (High Functioning Alcoholic)

Discussion in 'General' started by As Above So Below, May 14, 2013.

1. So I recently got out of the denial phase. I have been drinking alcohol for many years and I now know that I am a High Functioning Alcoholic. I have been getting drunk for the last 15 days (tonight included). It is mostly by myself with the exception of Friday and Saturdays when I host a party. When I am by myself I drink Steel Reserve. I don't get so drunk that I black out, I get a good buzz going, usually just one Steel Reserve. But lately it has been progressing to more. One night I drank 3 of these and I was still able to go to work at 8AM the next day and perform just as well as usual. Tonight I am on my second SR and I have had plenty to eat and enough water so I feel fine. There really isn't a point to this thread, just hoping for some general views. I know this won't get a lot of attention since it isn't about weed. 

I was just wondering if anyone else is the same? I quit smoking weed and instead replaced it with alcohol. I am always replacing it with something. If I quit smoking weed and stop drinking I try other things. Which isn't good. I have such a great life right now but since I moved out it's been really hard to control my consumption, especially since I have 2 liquor stores within a 5 minute walk from my house. 

Like I said, no real point, but does anyone have any insight or advice? I always say I will try out some AA meetings but it never happens. My family is aware of the situation but it hasn't gotten that bad (to them). But I feel like if I keep it up something really bad will happen. 

I have so much going for me that I just don't know why I drink and do so many drugs. Maybe I need to see a therapist? 

Thanks GC, I've been around here for awhile and it took a lot to post this. As you can imagine, I have had 1 and a half SR's =/

• Like Like x 1
  2. stop drinking immediately you have a problem and it will only get worse if not dealt with immediately

from,
    former opiate addict

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for the reply man. I always tell myself I will stop the next day but once I get off work I always justify it somehow. Tonight included. I bought one SR and said this would be it but I ended up buying 2 more... I really appreciate the reply. 

4.  yeah thats basically the essence of this fucked up sickness...get some courage and just STOP

5. if you're going to have withdrawals you could taper yourself down

as in:
    tonight 3 steels
    tomorrow 2 steels
    nextday 2 steels
    and then 4-5 days of 1 steel

THEN STOP

6. I was looking into that Tapering thing. I thought I would try it tonight but in the end that was just a justification to drink. I know I don't sound drunk at all, but I am pretty buzzing. That's the thing, I can keep my composure but I still get messed up. I sit here typing perfectly fine but I just finished two 24 oz (8.9%) SR's. I'm only 120 lbs, 5'9 =/ So it's not like I'm some big dude..

7. yeah its called tolerance

i used to be able to slam a shot that would literally kill a normal person, nothing to be proud of tbh

• Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah I know about tolerance but I never thought it could hit me so fast. One SR used to get me drunk, 2 and I would be passed out drunk. Now I can drink two and it's not a lot. I know I need help, it's just so hard to make that jump. I know it's just more excuses but I don't know... I am in the Army Reserve and I'm a Tier 1 agent at Century Link and no one has any idea what I'm going through. I'm really quite but I get my job done and my managers see my results... It's just so hard to live, what it seems like, a double life. I go to work, do my hardest to perform, and once I get home I just get fucked up... 

I don't know, I obviously need help lol.

9. Dude, I'm not trying to undermine you at all by saying this. But I my self used to drink a 5th a night and could still function like nothing the next day. I would drink in the mornings also, if I needed it that is. It does sound like you have a problem, and you should take it seriously. you should stop drinking right away.(TALK TO A DOCTOR FIRST!!!!!!) no telling if you will get withdrawal symptoms or not but they are not fucking pretty at all.
         Alcohol addiction is a bitch. It's even harder to quit as you get more in-depth. you should stop drinking now as it just seems to be a mental addiction. If you wait until you get Dt's it will be waaaayyyyyy harder.