Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Random Questions

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by SmoWeed, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Well I'm blazed out of the mind at the moment, and a couple of questions popped into my mind.

1. Can I use Rohto Eyedrops even though I wear contacts? I hear these are bad for you but sometimes I need eyedrops that will really work, and I hear these do.

2. I read somewhere that smoking ganja raises your metabolism which is why we get the munchies. Of course, this could be complete bullshit, so don't flame me calling me an idiot, I was just wondering if this is true.

2. 1. No.

2. Not really. It can increase heartrate some in some people, but the reason you get the munchies is the way it acts on the brain. It stimulates the part that makes you hungry.

EDIT: And btw, Rhotos are plain bad for your eyes even if you DON'T wear contacts.

3. I used Rhotos once and swore I'd never use them again, and happily I haven't. They stung like hell, made my eyes water like a waterfall. It felt like I took a lit menthol cigarette and jabbed it in my eye. So no rhotos Visine ftw.

And
    ^^^ This

4. The reason you get the munchies is cause it lowers blood sugar, then your body (not wanting to pass out) tells you to go eat.

5. No, it doesn't. There are an abundance of CB1 and CB2 receptors* in the part of the brain that controls appetite.

So much disinformation on this site.

EDIT: *Those are the neuroreceptors that cannabinoids bind to.

6. #6 CjX, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
    Yeah it does, they even had a guy on here posting about it. It was before Rec "Weed" use was split into 3 forums.

Guy with diabetes had a meter, woke up one morning without eating anything, tested his blood sugar, then tested half an hour later (after done smoking), and it went down like 40 points.

I'm surprised you don't remember that.

I'm not even gonna read the rest of the post because this pretty much sums it up right here ^

Pretty much what you do right here

Yeah I wish I could find that thread, he had it written out pretty nice. But yes it is all testimonials (as 95% of the other information here), I was doubting the results but a 40something point drop seemed kind of a big drop, especially since he just woke up and didn't eat anything, so his metabolism wouldn't have fully kicked in yet.

But yeah, you're right.

What I think is funny is that people here honestly think that because it's on a website claiming to be a report, means it's true. If you have ever been in the scene, you would know that people get paid to manufacture information. They get these people to use their social engineering skills to fabricate an article to the point where common users wouldn't question it. (Being as they don't really know what everything that they are saying) Even some of the doctors names are made up and placed in different countries.

C'mon guys, I was in this as a teenager.

7. Oh yes, you read it on the Internet so it must be true.

Read some actual research that has been done. They've known for years now that the appetite stimulus effect of cannabis is because of it's action on the brain. There is no valid study showing it lowers blood sugar. If, and that's a big if, it does on a person here and there it's an artifact of the fact that it affects different people differently.

The 'munchies' are caused by the way it affects the brain. It also affects the parts that tell your body to produce saliva and tears, hence cottonmouth and red eyes in some people.

I fully acknowledge that it affects different people in different ways, but it has not been show to affect blood sugar in any reproducible study that I've ever seen, and trust me I read as many of them as I can.

EDIT: Some public and Uni libraries have free access to journals you normally would have to pay for. Start there. There is fascinating research being done, especially in Israel, that may lead to some serious breakthroughs in appetite simulus medications.

8. That's not exactly a scientific level study. Depending on your metabolism your blood sugar can change a lot in 30 mins. I'm not saying whether he was right or not but some research in the area would be nice

9. Lol are we to believe scientists with labs or some diabetic with a blood sugar meter?

I mean really...

/Argument

10. I really do recommend you all try to get a hold of some of the papers coming out in the last few years. Unfortunately those are almost all in journals that require a subscription fee, but again many can be found at a good library.

Not just on this topic, appetite, but on many facets of cannabis. Another good study just came out of France recently. A lot of the best research has been done in Israel though.

11. I have almost made a pastime of reading papers and studies done on cannabis by universities/government labs/ independent labs

12. #12 MileHighMofo, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
    In response to this post...

CjX negative repped me stating this as his reason:

So my question here is: Who is the retard with a blunt I am believing? OldSchoolGrower? The Scientists who publish these papers?

If anything YOU are the would be the one believing "any retard with a blunt" but I wont call the diabetic dude retarded, nor will I assume he has a blunt....

(P.S. You have to have rep to take rep away..so no harm done :) )

13. I don't know about the munchies part, but dude, no on the rhotos. I'm not really good with eyedrops at all really, but I can do visine. I tried the rhotos once, and yeah, it was a horrible experience! I wasn't high, my eyes were just dry and my bro had them and it pretty much feels like you're crying with a cigarette in your eye dude, no good! But in all fairness, I really have heard they make the redness go completely away like instantly, so I guess you get used to the sting, but imho...not worth it!

14. Come on rhoto eyedrops burn for 5 seconds and after that they feel really cool. I don't like the blue box, they burn, but the green box burns for a little then feels a little weird but its nice.

15. I use Rhoto Vs (the green cap) and I have no idea what this burning sensation you are all talking about is.