Random isnt really real

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by Eurosports342, Sep 28, 2012.

1. So today I started thinking deep about the word random, I came to a conclusion that in all reality, there is no such thing as random. I mean everything happens for a reason. If a telephone pole "randomly" falls over it was due to something loosening it and it than falling. it didn't just fall out of nowhere. See what I'm saying?

2. but isnt 'random' a concept from our minds? and 'reason'? if the pole falls randomly, but its not actually random, and theres a reason... then who's behind the supposed reason? A result, either direct or indirect, which occurs as a byproduct of that pole falling, or a cause, or a series of events which leads up to the event... could lead one to believe that the pole's fall happened in order to facilitate that result...or as a result of those events... but couldnt the occurance of that result or those events be just as a random too?

for example. if the pole falls on me and smushes me to a bloody mess... was i meant to die? or is the reason related to someone else that needed me out of the way whether i was dead or not and as a function of randomization i just died? maybe the utility worker fucked up and he's the cause of the pole falling. Maybe he was high and he missed a step when securing the pole. Maybe he was preoccupied over a poker hand where he lost a lot of money that he needed because he drew an eight instead of deuce. maybe the reason he drew those cards was related to other stuff.. or maybe it was meant to lead to this pole falling. did i die to encourage him to slow down on his smoking or gambling? or simply because the deck drew the way it did? something to do with the dealer? what reasons might have caused the dealer to deal that way? Maybe I had aids and i died to spare myself that prolonged suffering once it kicked in. Perhaps there were reasons behind the events leading up to the poles fall...something to do strictly with the immediate area around the pole. but my death was absolutley random?

or maybe it was all just random. :confused_2:

if you start thinking about possible reasoning behind things that happen you could possibly go mad. :l

• Like Like x 1
  3. [quote name='"resistance"']but isnt 'random' a concept from our minds? and 'reason'? if the pole falls randomly, but its not actually random, and theres a reason... then who's behind the supposed reason? A result, either direct or indirect, which occurs as a byproduct of that pole falling, or a cause, or a series of events which leads up to the event... could lead one to believe that the pole's fall happened in order to facilitate that result...or as a result of those events... but couldnt the occurance of that result or those events be just as a random too?

for example. if the pole falls on me and smushes me to a bloody mess... was i meant to die? or is the reason related to someone else that needed me out of the way whether i was dead or not and as a function of randomization i just died? maybe the utility worker fucked up and he's the cause of the pole falling. Maybe he was high and he missed a step when securing the pole. Maybe he was preoccupied over a poker hand where he lost a lot of money that he needed because he drew an eight instead of deuce. maybe the reason he drew those cards was related to other stuff.. or maybe it was meant to lead to this pole falling. did i die to encourage him to slow down on his smoking or gambling? or simply because the deck drew the way it did? something to do with the dealer? what reasons might have caused the dealer to deal that way? Maybe I had aids and i died to spare myself that prolonged suffering once it kicked in. Perhaps there were reasons behind the events leading up to the poles fall...something to do strictly with the immediate area around the pole. but my death was absolutley random?

or maybe it was all just random. :confused_2:

if you start thinking about possible reasoning behind things that happen you could possibly go mad. :l[/quote]

mind blown. I think I'm going insane

• Like Like x 1
  4. How do i stop thinking?

5. carefully

6. Actually, quantum events are random, and everything depends on them, so in a very real sense everything is random. And random is real.

Granted, the probabilities for a particle are tightly constrained. In theory your desk could materialize on the back side of the moon, but the odds are almost infinitely against it.

7. random is real and at the same time it isn't