random car talk

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by docleary, Feb 13, 2014.

1. #81 weedandtubes, May 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2014
  2. my Geo had a bit of a no start issue last couple of days. i thought it was the battery/connectors, so i took the battery to the hardware store, had it checked. checked ok, so i bought new battery connectors. they charged the battery. car ran great all day. but i stopped at the grocery store on my way home, and it didnt want to start right away. i got it to start on the 3rd try, and i got home fine. i went back out a while later and it didnt want to start. im thinking alternator. i'll have to jump it tomorrow and take it to Advance for an alt. test. 

3. @[member="El Duderino"]
    Get it running and disconnect one of the battery terminals...if it keeps running the alternator is ok...dies, alt is bad.....

4. Looks clean sure you could sell all the v8 swap stuff easily to fund the 13b-rew

5. Besides the alt it could also be your distributor.

6. #86 El Duderino, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2014
    im also thinking the extra load of having the A/C back in order put it out, because a couple days before trouble started, i noticed a bit of squeaking coming from the pulleys... i couldnt identify which one... but i have suspicions.

7. Squeaking from the pullies generally means it just got a little bit of water on it. If it continues take a look.

8. A/c clutches love to squeal on their way out. Got one again right now, although my fix is to simply not run the a/c. If you already did the following then the advice you've already been given is perfect but for giggles see if it only squeals when the a/c switch is on in the car. Your geo is a GM product correct? I know you put new cables on but if they are the side mounts I'd spend a little time making sure they sit perfectly before spending any cash. Not a likely fix but those are finicky as fuck sometimes.

Alt advice is golden but for a fun side fact. My 68 galaxie threw up its alt light yesterday (no gauges just idiot lights on the dash) but voltage reads correct when running and with car off and car runs with battery disconnected. Checked almost all connections all are tight. It just wanted to say hello apparently. Much like the dome light in the jimmy I just wrestled with for an ignition lock cylinder swap. 97 truck but 98 part, $40 difference and 4 days waiting for usps. Fix for that light was to remove the bulb lol.

Topped that off with a serpentine belt and tensioner pulley swap on a mazda 626 (million times easier said then done) that ended with finding a freeze plug that was just kind of sitting next to the hole in the head it was suppose to be plugging. Been a fun week and as usual the only vehicle I own to reliably stay on the road is my oldie.

9. Should shitboxes(cars) be 100% recycled by the manufacturer...?

Should the manufacturer be held liable in case of death or injury bought on by the driver of any shitbox ..?

Should the makers of carbon emitting shitboxes be encourage to opt for less harmful emissions? 

Should those underage (25yo) drivers of shitboxes be held liable for their crimes, and pay for their crimes via the typical Christen method of eye for eye?

10. Are they not held liable when they fuck up? Toyota brakes come to mind,mandatory countless recalls for any manufacturer when the fix is free. Or the good ole corvair.

100% recycled so that the only parts available are ones that are profitable to reproduce on mass scale, no thank you. I need to find used shitboxes parts occasionally, some things are seemingly impossible to find aftermarket for.

Put my old shitboxes next to damn near anything made today, including full size trucks and I'd say emissions are being dealt with.

And Ha @ eye for an eye.

11. tennesse but the car is from indiana

ok. the car and the scenery looked really familiar. guy i know has identical car sitting in his yard. driveway appears to be set up the same way. had to ask haha.

spent the afternoon fucking with my e30. gotta love idle issues. new ignition system. fires up, but won't idle at all. fires, does a few rotations, and dies in 5-10 seconds, even with throttle close to wide open. not sure if its really worth throwing too much money at this engine but i don't have the time/money to start a swap.

13. How's the rebuild going?
    Are the housings and irons useable?

14. i'm too broke to keep up with this:

[​IMG]

:laughing:

i'm too broke for anything, really. wrecked my boss's truck three weeks back so i'm giving 75% of my labor for free.

should be paid off by late june/early july though, so i've got that to look forward to.

i narrowly missed out on an '87 325is in bronzit the weekend the truck got wrecked.

15. #95 SiberianShepherd, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014

16. Yes

No

Yes. its called CAFE standards.

Maybe. the crime would be arguable. but alcohol related incidents would be zero tolerance like in Houston. straight Christen.

17. #97 El Duderino, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
    he only has Cadil-legs.

18. #98 Vee, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  19. [​IMG]