random car talk

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by docleary, Feb 13, 2014.

1. so i'm warming the vehicle to check the transmission fluid, but '99 2500 ram won't shift into reverse.

2. #62 El Duderino, May 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2014
    Mutha Fuckin BUMP!

so i posted in another thread that i traded my '91 Prelude(blown head gasket) for a running driving Geo Metro 3 cylinder, 5 speed. anyway, the Metro had this gnarly oil leak. it was losing a quart a day depending on how long the engine runs. when it was running, you could see it just oozing out from the crank seal and the oil pan. its at my father-in-laws shop. it will be ready tomorrow. 

3. Here in germany beamer = BMW car ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

so my father in law got the Geo fixed yesterday afternoon. been there a week. he says he took care of some other things i pick it up this afternoon. IM SO EXCITED!!!!
    [​IMG]

5. done. it feels good! he did an alignment. fixed the oil leaks, and he fixed the A/C leak.its like a new car! the old man did good!

6. Got my first import. 99 mazda 626, although it's a ford motor.

Fucking nonsense with one of the idler/tensioner pulleys. Tighten it up and it doesn't spin, so friction will eat belts daily I assume, back the nut off enough to allow pulley to spin (counter clockwise) and the nut spins with the pulley which will result in it falling off quickly. Yay for jumping onto the "new" car bandwagon. Should have stuck with my pre 70 rule. Where pulleys are attached to accessories and tension is provided via adjust alternator/PS pumps.

7. Loctite(red). apply and set the nut/bolt just right.

8. pulled the motor from my rx7 last night, ordered my new parts today and it should be rebuilt and running by this weekend. im super excited because i haven't even driven it yet. if we do it in time ill be driving it on my birthday which not only would that be an awesome b-day gift but i wont have to renew my registration on my pos SC300.

9. Dope...good luck on the rebuild get us some pics of it if ya can..

10. #71 invinciblejets, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
    Our cars are cousins.... :)[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Today I will be adjusting the valves on my 350, I hate adjusting valves, so much double checking.

12. At least its what only two valves per cylinder..would suck alot more on a dual cam.

13. I like my dual cams more.I also feel more comfy adjusting the lash.I grew up with FI so carbed single cam v8s are what I am learning now. 

14. Went with the.. Washers on the backside to help things along. All well there, now just have to get the other tensioner pulley bracket off because... Well because I need it out and it won't come.

I never understood why, since fwd has been the norm for so long, that "they" don't put better access panels in wheel wells. Heaven forbid people can actually get their hand onto the accessories and belts without being midgets or yanking the engine half way.

15. That is surprising... Most people normally don't complain with FWD since everything is right there and the bays generally aren't crowded.If it will help you remove the fenders,the plastic liner, the battery/battery tray, and pop the axles out. Then you should have enough room to more or less stand in the bay haha

16. Then I've looked at all the wrong fwd vehicles vs my rwd cars. I'd have to remove the entire passenger side fender, wheel well and probably a good chunk of the grill/lights to have anything close to as much access to the belt system as my car with a big block 383 or the galaxie and it's puny 302(which is 2x the size of the 2.5l in question). I'm going to have to support the engine via a jack or cherry picker, pull a motor mount completely and loosen the other one so I can pivot the engine just to remove a tensioner pulley. The only time I've had to remove a motor mount on my rwd cars is if I want to pull the engine.

Just ranting because this lil zoom zoom'er is getting on my nerves. Having to partially remove an engine for full belt access boggles my mind.

17. #78 SiberianShepherd, May 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2014
    I guess my Hondas are different, I have so much room alone once I remove the manifold, but in general so much room.But so much wiring!!!I hate wiring haha
    EDIT: Also this car doesn't have any emission equipment because it was my track car.

IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG

18. Even in the pictures of your track car, which need to be easily worked on the belt system is tucked up against the wheel well/fender or whatever is on the right of the pic. Pulling things off to gain access to things that need attention is exactly what my rant is about. I know it's just how shit is anymore but I'm a pre 70s car guy and the change in mentality is hard for me. Actually the piece I'm now working on isn't even what was wrong in the first place. I found a weak link while fixing the original problem when I had to move this tensioner to work on the other pulley. That was fair enough, front belt gets in the way of the back belt on any car with multiple belts. The car itself being in the way of working on the engine makes me want to cry though. I'll get it running and will enjoy the vehicle but if I have any say in it, this will be he last new-ish car I purchase.

New cars have their place for sure, many people feel as if they need all the "tools" that they come equipped with. Their place isn't in my driveway though.

i swear i've seen this car before..

where are you from?