Rand Paul...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by HongKongPhooey, Jun 8, 2011.

1. So I was watching the Colbert Report and they showed a clip of Rand Paul. At first I thought it would be something to do with the Patriot Act but it was actually something different:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/enterta...lous-report-blog/bal-20110608,0,5502738.story

I find this a bit concerning, and I like how Colbert flipped it on Rand for going to a convention that had anti-Government speech that he listened too.

I found out that he was trying not to be seen as liking Racial Profiling, but his response may have been worse.

[ame="http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/388801/june-07-2011/the-word---hear-no-evil"]Colbert Report[/ame]

2. Glad you posted this, I for one am not on the Rand Paul bandwagon. He resembles, his father, but with an emphasis on "politics"...

3. my jury is still out on Rand Paul..

he doesn't give me the same vibe that his dad does.

4. I'll sum it up for the people who dont wanna watch the clip,

Rand Paul

5. ^

Wow.

That's some Zimbabwean-style shit.

6. Because he didn't want to seem Pro-Racial Profiling....

I think Rand needs to get his priorities straightened out.

7. What was the context?

He was arguing for abolishing the Patriot Act and using otherwise legal intelligence work to catch "terrorists".

He wasn't saying that they should be deported or thrown in jail simply for attending the speech, he later clarifies he meant that could be used as supplemental evidence to target them and get a warrant.

He claims that threatening violent overthrow of the government, or threatening the life of the President, is illegal, but I'm not 100%.

8. He's definitely not as refined as his pops. His views are quite similar to RP, but he doesn't have 30 years of experience when dealing with politics and the media- both of which are 3-D chess.

I hope Rand recants his slip up.

9. I thought it was Rand Paul's belief that the federal government has no right to tell a private business who it can serve.

If a private business refuses service to black people, it would probably get boycotted and would probably close due to lack of money. That's the free market principle that Ron and Rand preach. I thought all the Ron Paul supporters liked these principles

10. Then I guess his daddy is gonna have to start writing his speeches for him from now on, if he wants keep any love the conservative-world has left for him.

What is it with politicians and articulateness these days?

11. There are more media outlets and constant coverage. :confused_2: This was on a radio show.

It's pretty common to mispeak, and even easier to take something out of context. It's his first year and he's getting a lot of attention, of course he's going to make some noob mistakes.

12. the funny part was rand himself went to a concert which actively promoted a government overthrow

13. It wasn't clearly promoting violent overthrow of the government, and if it was then he thinks he should be singled out for an investigation before someone attending a non-violent anti-government protest.

He was trying to provide examples arguing for ways to obtain warrants against terrorists without having to sacrifice everybody's right to privacy. It's either none of us have rights or some of us are profiled for attending radically violent speeches, but I doubt he considers that enough evidence for a warrant, arrest or deportation.