Rand Paul on Daily Show

Discussion in 'Politics' started by aaronman, Mar 10, 2011.

1. I don't think Stewart pushed hard enough on the issue of Tax breaks for the wealthy.. Its really a non-debatable issue when you're serious about tackling this debt..

I dont really agree with all of Ron and Rand's ideology, but theyre certainly better than every single republican out there today..

2. Rand probably would have just started talking about the laffer curve and it wouldn't have gone anywhere.

I thought he sounded fairly reasonable. He doesn't look very presidential though. Maybe it's just because I'm weirded out by seeing a younger slightly distorted version of Ron Paul's face with the same voice coming out of the mouth.

3. Rand Paul walks around in a fairy land where everyone plays fair and everything is o.k. with the world. He is a naive fool just like his father.

4. I think the only non-debatable issue is that the government needs to quit spending money like a drunken pervert in a high-class brothel.

5. Think he is doing much better on interviews these days but...I always get the feeling that he's Ron Paul light. It's as if he has memorized the right words and right arguments to make (and I believe that he believes them - so I'm not saying he's a fake), but a full understanding of the arguments hasn't quite clicked with him yet. To put it another way, I felt that he wasn't able to debate with Jon or explain the points he was making the way Ron Paul would have.

Is he more electable than Ron? Only if age is a factor.

In my opinion anyway :)

6. It's a very debatable issue considering the impact of taxes rates on tax revenue, they did touch on this in the interview.

I don't think any two representatives are fighting the status quo as much as the Paul's, so obviously they don't think everything is OK. :confused:

I think he's more of a statist than Ron, he's not so staunchly opposed to the existence of a welfare state.

7. Could the Paul's run as a father son, Vice and President combo?

8. Impact on revenue due to tax rates? We're talking about personal income taxes here.. need I remind everyone we would reduce our debt by a cool 700 billion with such a simple measure. There's too much debt... not passing this plus a slap in the face to middle class Americans.. as soon as the population starts to comprehend the serious amount and nature of our debt they wont accept a politician who ignores this tax break.

9. #10 aaronman, Mar 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2011

Yes. Raise taxes and constrict economic activity, reduce economic growth, and reduce tax revenue.

If a 25% tax brings in 50 dollars, a 50% tax will not bring in 100 dollars.

Rich people often have expensive lifestyles, they accrued a lot of debt and responsibilities to reach the positions they are in. Some are so close to the edge that a 3% increase in the cost of living could ruin them, and hurt the economy even more.

Source?

You're acting like we don't have a bloated budget that could use spending cuts... let's do that first, then talk about taking additional money from people.

10. seriously. instead of taxing ANYONE more, how about they use the ridiculous amount of money they are already getting responsibly, and for its intended purpose....

but that will never happen in its current state.

11. Guys, we just need more taxes to get out of debt. The top 50% of income earners already pay ~95% of the total income tax "revenue". They can pay some more.

What was the government's tax "revenue" last year? Somewhere on the order of $2 trillion? Naa yea, they need more money.

12. bottom line, they're shortchanging America for they're shopping addiction.

13. I think the sarcasm went over your head bro.

Yea because rich people don't work hard for their money..:rolleyes: Tax the rich so lazy liberals can work less, and use that tax money to pay for their shopping addictions..

14. Leaving his politics aside for a moment, Rand Paul comes across as stiff and humorless as Al Gore. Like Gore, his stiff presentation makes him seem like a know-it-all.

His followers may love it because they buy what he's selling, but it doesn't endear him to the undecideds.

15. I think Rand Paul is a good voice for conservationism. I am really interested to see the real life application of his "energy freedom" outlook is; I wonder how if he would be willing to commit to completely clean energy. He seems very careful to not step on coal's feet.

16. #17 aaronman, Mar 11, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2011

I agree, and I didn't love it. Maybe it's because he felt he was on the defensive...
    there were moments when I felt he should have smiled or laughed but didn't.

That's what I want liberals to see, that the tea party brand of conservativism, while more fiscally conservative than neocons, is far less evil. It would pose a much better counterpart to liberalism.

17. I think rand paul would be a god stepping stone between what we have now .... and having system like Ron Paul would fight for.

God must have gotten the birth order wrong with the two. Oniscient and Immaculate my ass ...

18. Hopefully in years to come he can better articulate his positions more like Ron Paul, assuming he has similar views...which it seems that he does.

19. I thought it was a pretty good interview. I think Ron and Rand align themselves with progressive democrats better than any repubs in congress.

Pretty weak call on Stewarts part claiming our food in 'more safe' bc of the FDA. We all know the FDA serves big pharma and big food industries, while choking off people who want to sell organic food and raw foods. If the FDA was looking out for us, grass would be legal, not Rx pill that kill a football stadium full of ppl each year.

What is so bad about Ron Paul's philosophy? Bring the troops home, end the war on drugs, begin a foreign policy based upon sanity, shrink our government, end the destruction of our civil liberties, follow the constitution, and start to embrace individual liberty again.

He wants to eliminate the income tax and the IRS. Which is possible if we drastically change our foreign policy and wean people off of welfare. Only someone with an entitlement mindset would be turned off by these ideas.

Our government is bloated and out of control. What are offered by establishment repubs and liberals? War, general and corporate welfare, and a central bank that is destroying the currency.

I'll gladly take some 'radical' change to get off the destructive path we are currently on.