Rambling on creativity

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 95373, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Thinking outside the box.

It's a phrase we've heard before, one we will probably hear again. All it does is, call for creative thinking on whatever subject it might be. But why must we put forth a call for creativity? It seems to me that as we get older our creativity dies.

I think we as a species condition ourselves out of creativity. Maybe not on purpose, but it happens. Schools, are a large killer of creativity. More often than not, they promote test scores, similar ways of learning, and almost no discussion or argument against. It tends to be the teacher, just telling a class of 30 about some subject, with one look on it and no real attempt to even take a glance from the other side.

As children we quickly learn, either by the laughter of others or by the disapproval of others, what thoughts we should share and which ones we shouldn't. This is when we are most creative in our lives(albeit, a little too excitable as well[IMO]) and we don't really have much to exercise this on. As children we have a curiosity, towards learning and anything else that is new to us and as children, we aren't afraid to be wrong.

We have been told over and over throughout our lives that being right, or having the right info is what matters and I believe this kills creativity. If children are afraid to be different, wrong, out there, etc then they WILL NOT ask questions(atleast ones that fall into those categories) and questioning is something I consider vital to creativity. It seems that we limit ourselves IMO.

I saw a video once, a little girl was drawing a picture and when asked what she was drawing she said "I'm drawing God" to which the teacher replied "You can't do that, we don't know what God looks like" to which the child replied something along the lines of "You will in a minute, when I'm finished with it." That is a prime example, of how children up until a certain point have no fear of being wrong, which IMO allows them to be more creative, approach things differently, and understand things in ways one would consider, outside the box.

Creativity. Your thoughts.

What can we do to develop it?
    Why is it that we have stifled it so far in society?
    Are there ways of fixing it?
    Can you ever LEARN to be creative?
    Where do you believe creativities place is among genetic traits for survival(I think it's essential)?
    Any other thoughts on this are welcome as well

2. i stay creative by writing. i write about everything on my mind, no matter how foolish. my entries don't have a plot or a central theme of any sort. it is just pure thought written down on paper

i write for me, not for others.

3. Genius is 10 percent inspiration, and 90 percent perspiration.
    -Thomas Edison-

The Industrial revolution turned people into mechanistic thinkers, more concerned with production of goods, than great philosophers. The effects of mass media as well, have made it unnecessary for many people to develop their innate desires to be more creative artistically. We can all sit back now, and be entertained by the media darlings, until we forget that it's more fun, and more spiritually attuning to DIY.

Society is always going to resist highly creative thinkers, because they tend to get ahead of the curve of social normalcy as well.

Yes!:hello:

Everyone, has an inner desire to create. It's that 'feel'.

There's millions of ways to be creative, and many people will not appreciate them all. Please the inner feel that drives you, and be as unique as you can.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw2MjRcVO4g&feature=related"]YouTube - Tom Waits - Down in the Hole[/ame]

4. In A society that tries to standardize thinking, individuality is not highly prized.

Conformity, taught at such a young age, obedience, as instructed by the very ones who brought us in to this world, before we are even old enough to be self-aware.

It all falls into the master plan of removing the truth and thought process out of every-day life for us, we are taught to obey, follow the leader, never question those in charge, and when we do, we are punished for it.

Nobody can halt what is comprised within the mind, with all the technology and advancement that has occured within the last 30 years, is it possible that we know MORE than what we think/should?

Creativity is for those who seek it, seek within the truth and the truth shall set you free, whatever co-occurs with everything in your mind co-exists with the transmitter that happens to be the UNIVERSE.

I beleive that every thought we have is transmitted out into the never-ending mass that we know as space, and I think that it is possible to pick up on these thoughts, hence "lightbulbs" or "telepathy."

Will we ever know what we know, or THINK we know? Nobody will ever know.

5. inspiration is key. for example, just a few weeks ago i was inspired when by a hip hop artist and ever since i've listened, i feel like i've been much more creative with my writing tenfold.

all it takes is one inspiring moment to lead you down a path of creativity