RAM settings, bios, help please

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by tflga, Jun 15, 2012.

1. #1 tflga, Jun 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2012
    Hey guys, I just need a quick fix answer here. I purchased 2 sticks of duel channel ram modules,

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPI-B

according to my DRAM frequency though under CPU-Z, it's only showing 300, 400, 500MHz settings in BIOS - from my understanding it's supposed to be 1066MHz?

"General" - These are the settings in my CPU-z at the moment. I just went back to BIOS and switched everything back to AUTO.......

Type DDR2
    Size: 4096 MBytes
    Channels#: Dual
    DC Mode Ungaged
    NB Frequency 2008.9 MHz

DRAM Frequency 535.7 MHz
    FSB:DRAM 3:8
    CL: 5.0 clocks
    tRCD: 7 clocks
    tRP: 7 clocks
    tRAS: 20 clocks
    tRC: 32 clocks
    CR: 2T

I watched a tut on youtube but his bios allowed him to switch to 1066MHz when mine did not ...

edit: Does any of this have to do with my System Properties->Performance Options->Virtual Memory - Where I can change the paging file size for each drive..

EDIT: Just remembered I needed to multiply X2 the 400 number ........... That still only comes out to 800, If I came out to 533 it'd come out to the 1066, am I risking anything here by changing just THAT option? I just read this on a forum somewhere

Should I keep the t(clock) settings at the 5-5-5-15, if I switch my DRAM to 533? My "FSB:DRAM" shows at "1:2", "DRAM Frequency" is at 401.8MHz after I switched back to auto in bios

edit: this is what I'm talking about,

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vuTPj0VXA[/ame]

I have reset my settings back to 1066MHz ......5:7:7:20 / DRAM ratio: 3:8/ tRC: 32 / CR: 2T ....

Alright so I've done that, wondering if there needs to be anything done, should I move the clocks back to 5:5:5:15? Which is the default, I believe the lower the number the faster..the rate?

2. #2 YoSmokinMan, Jun 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2012
    If the memory tab in cpuz says they're running at around half 1066 they're running at the rated speed.

Set the timings and voltage to what the manufacturer says and you're done.

And yes lower numbers (tighter timings) are better than higher numbers (looser timings).

Depending on the sticks you can sometimes lower these values even more than stock for a small performance boost but be warned if you set them too low the system may be unstable or worst case not even post so you'd have to open the case and reset the bios with the jumper pins then reconfigure it.