Ram Dass RIP

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Skyjester, Dec 23, 2019.

1. I spent a lot of years listening to his lectures on KPFK and KPFA. Great and very funny speaker imo.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. I've never been blown over by him. Pretty conventional, distilling eastern philosophy until it can be packaged into a neat coffee table book. A lot of cheapjack answers, vapid appeals. Using keywords like Awareness, Oneness etc. Completely useless in fact.

3. #3 Skyjester, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Useless for you maybe. I learned more from him about how the universe works than Alan Watts and Krishnamurti combined. He never failed to make me laugh if nothing else.

Can't anyone post a simple RIP without getting the thread shit on? Whoever gave you your spiritual teachings, get a refund cuz you got ripped off imo. smh

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Sorry I harshed your mellow, man. Like we just gotta Live, you know, be in the Present. Awareness is the answer, right? Peace.

Look at me, peddling all the east Wisdom of Ram Dass. Does it mean anything? Of course not. But it sounds free and breezy, which is all stoners who haven't the imagination to form their own identity and therefore must rely on cultural stereotypes to facilitate that need want. Soft minded, feel good nonsense.

5. The only alternative offered by the universe is feel bad nonsense. Your posts are perfect examples of it.

So what does mean anything to you? I mean other than shitting on public and sincere RIP posts. Were you raised in a fucking barn?

6. Hey, if you want to keep your supermarket spiritually, then by all means, keep it. If duct taping a bunch of meaningless mantras to your mind makes you happy. When you go to shopping centres and see those plaques they sell which say things like Live, Laugh, Love and Life is about the Journey, do you get all weepy and think, these corporate made slogans really get to the heart of our existential being?

7. #7 Skyjester, Dec 27, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Look, one gets out of life what one puts into it. In addition to making me laugh, which in itself made his lectures worth the effort, Ram Dass hooked me up with certain texts that are as diametrically opposed to supermarket spirituality as anything I've read in a half century, including the Bible and Quran.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. He's in a better place than Earth. Blessings to him.

• Like Like x 1
  9. #9 svedka, Jan 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    Ram was in a better place than most of us before his 88 yr old terrestrial vehicle/communication device gave up the ghost... Met him twice, once in Aspen at a healing arts festival and again a few yrs later after a lecture... Always "lit" but not stoned... Big bright eyes in the NOW in childlike wonder, not a set of egoic concepts waiting to react or exalt himself above the audience regardless of how large or small (me and my GF at the time)...

He gave and gave after returning from India and having awakenings and quickenings from his guru.. Took care of his feeble father to the end as well as running an organization that was all about service... Money never was important to him so he ended up broke living in Hawaii when Wayne Dyer heard of his plight... Wayne then sent out a request to all of his friends, associates and fans to let them know and how to help... Ram was surprised to see checks coming in the mail... There is a video on Youtube with the 2 of them talking about it... But it helped him get in touch with many he had inspired along the way, develop a website and continue having satsangs...
    Link below is from a week or so after Ram's passing from one inspired by his teaching... He explains how significant Richard and Tim were in beginning the awakening process for not only the country but world...
    WARNING: It is against board rules to discuss any drugs other than cannabis and alcohol so don't get into a discussion about substance Tim or Ram introduced to society... OK? Otherwise this topic will be locked or deleted. Thanks.

10. YT happened to suggest this one today... Seems fitting with the covid-19 pandemic, some may not live long enough to go through all the seasons of their lives... Maybe they can get an idea of what they would miss? He articulates very well, as does Alan Watts.

11. Richard "Ram Dass" Alpert, a very close associate of Timothy Leary, died Dec. 22, 2019. He was 88 years old.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I didnt think his beliefs were actually Christian?

13. Who knows where he is. But Christ has authority to save all and any.

14. No siree Bob… Not if they aren’t Christian he doesn’t.

15. Yet he saved a completely unreligious thief on the cross. I don't think I need to whip out that verse, common story.

16. Think that’s something, my boy Horton heard a Who!

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. This makes me feel awkward.

18. The mention of a fictional character makes you feel awkward? My bad. Those bible stories do the same to me. So many stories. Very little bearing in today’s world. I wonder if those “lost books” are the books that were those that contained information that in no way would be overlooked and thusly destroying all credibility of that bible making it clear it’s a work of fiction. Like, dragons or some shit. But I do believe in god, or a higher life form giving way to us. Even as I type there’s something telling me I’m not far from the truth. I truly believe it’s the equivalent of what Christians call the holy ghost. But I don’t talk about it really. It’s weird. But don’t worry, Horton is a forgiving Horton.

19. And God is a forgiving God. Hosanna to you.

20. Doesn’t matter. All I ever hear is that the only people that can go to heaven are Christians.

Period - correct, right?