Raise Voting Age to 21

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AlienBlood, Aug 4, 2011.

1. If that was ever actually allowed to happen the negatives would outweigh the positives IMO.

2. Nope; I support states rights. Not sure why you think that based on what I said.

When either party needs votes at the national level they contact certain key districts and these places come up with the votes even if they don't have the number of registered voters to match what they needed.

I don't think it makes much difference who you vote for. Your local polling place will lose your vote and find another if that's what is needed.

3. Lower the voting age to 12, or even 10.

The collective mental maturity of the American voter is about that anyway.

Our current leadership appears to have been elected by naive drunken children.

[​IMG]

4. Well i just think that people with felonies should be able to vote, so prisoners etc...... they need representation as well in the political system . Often the prisoners wont be paying any taxes or anything.

5. Wait, so what exactly do you have against Ron Paul? because this seems to be more of a "I dislike Ron Paul and people that vote for him" thread, rather than a thread with a logical reason to raise the voting age.

Voting age and age to be able to join the military should be the same in my opinion.
    Raise one, raise the other and vice versa. I think 18 is adequate. How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

It seems like you just hold a certain bitterness towards the generation younger than you, and all that will get you is a generation which won't give a flying fuck about you when you are old and need to be taken care of. The older generation always seem to pull the card "you guys think you know everything" When in fact I don't think you give us enough credit on how much we do know. You presume that since you are older you are infinitely more knowledgeable - because that comes with time and life experience right?

There are plenty of young individuals who have experienced more in their 18 years than some people have at the age of 40. There are also plenty of young people more informed and educated than older folks, especially with the advent of the internet.

Age does not equal wisdom.

6. Raise the drafting age to 21 and I'm cool with it.

7. the liberals and ron paul would lose a few votes.

8. How about instead of raising the voting age to 21 we raise voters to be more diligent.

9. how bout an intelligence test one must pass.

10. I have nothing against Ron Paul. So yeah..

As for the person suggesting an IQ test I may support that but intelligence isn't even my point. My gripe is about uninformed voters and young people happen to make up a significant portion of them...But I'd even go more lenient and just require a basic test about the candidates, elections, etc..

I mean we can even make them ridiculously easy questions to the point where you're only weeding out people who literally know nothing about what they're voting for. That would be fine with me and for the people who fail such a test there should probably be a second chance for them to educate themselves. I don't want to restrict people's freedom to vote, I just want them to use it wisely.

11. I was going to argue with you, then you posted this.

You cannot argue with which cannot think -internet debate axiom #34

12. #52 BluntAssassin, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2011
    I somewhat agree with this because I have never seen such a disinterest in politics and blatant ignorance with this generation. The only reason I don't agree with it is I would have no say, when I actually follow who I want as a candidate, unless the basic test was implemented. That's not a bad idea.

Maybe that's the answer is not the age, but just the test. Have a basic fucking test for everybody because it's not only 18-21 year aged kids that are making 100% of the vote.

13. Thats actually probly a good idea even tho i wouldnt be able to vote

14. #54 Olesmoky, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    Lets quit with the stupid ass age limits and start using intelligence limits.

Let alone the fact that nobody really knows what the fuck they're voting for beyond the local level.

To even be elligable to vote you should have to pass an exam on the person you're voting for so we can be sure you actually know what they even represent (granted most of it's lies). You should also not be allowed to know the political party of the candidate on the god damn voting ticket. Makes it far too easy for the massively retarded population to go into the polls and slap onto red or blue.

15. just abolish political parties. Problem solved.

16. raising the voting age to 21 would be wrong considering the younger voters are an essential part of our voting polls. obama's whole campaign on "change" wouldn't have happened without the youth. (not saying i am for obama)

17. raise the the age to join the military then too...... wait a sec. what r the odds that the person with this idea is a right winger who wants smaller gov't but wants to gov't all over the polls..... hahahahhahahahahaha sad