Raise soil pH level?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by whiteb0inewb, Jun 24, 2011.

1. So I've been having plenty of plant problems and finally figured out what the problem was. The ph of the soil had to be off. I watered her with ~ 7.0 water and 5.0 came out the bottom (runoff). How do I raise the pH of the soil? Water her with higher ph'd water every watering till runoff comes out 6.5?

I'm not sure where I can get dolomite lime, i didnt ser any at home depot or lowes. Also if soil is in the water you are testing would that affect the pH?

2. Try flushing her. I had a plant get its Ph in the 5 range and after a good flush, her Ph was at 6.5. Sometimes nutes build up and drop the Ph. Try flushing with 7 Ph water and test again. A good watering between feeds helps keep Ph problems and nutes build up from happening

3. I get my dolomite lime at Lowes. They have pallets of it in the garden section, just ask. In fact, they had 3 pallets of the dolo in pellet form, and 1 pallet of the powdered/ground. HD also had it, but in pellet form only.

Look around, lime is very common as gardeners use it by the bag and farmers by the ton.

Wet

• Like Like x 1
  4. Interesting. Maybe I just got unlucky and asked someone who had no idea what I was talking about. I'll have to go back and check, it can be pretty useful I've read. I use fox farm ocean forest I originally thought it wasn't needed. I'm definitly going to flush her next watering, I've fluxes her once already around week 3 of veg

5. Get the lime and apply it before you flush. The flushing will help work it into the mix, since you are going to have to top dress with it.

In the future, add the lime to the mix before use.

Apply at the rate of, 2tbl/gallon of mix, or 1cup/cf of mix.

Wet

6. I need to pick up some lime too. Guess I'm going shopping tonight :)

7. For a quick, temporary fix, you can also use lime juice. Lime juice is basic so it will raise your pH, and lemon juice is acidic and will lower your pH. I always have lemons and limes around, so it's an easy way to correct my pH in an emergency.

8. #8 greenbudguy, Jun 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Nice! Didn't know lime juice would raise it. I know lemon juice lowers it so I thought lime juice would too. I'll have to try that out. I think I'll still go get Ph up/down tho

9. Apply straight lime/lemon juice to the soil? I have ph up/down to adjust my waters ph

10. #10 greenbudguy, Jun 24, 2011
    Ph up/down is more stable but in emergencies or low funds, lemon/lime juice is a good quick fix

11. So adjusting the ph of my solution going in will raise the ph of my soil essentially?

12. It will keep it in safe zone. If you keep adding low Ph nutes mix, the soil Ph will lower. If you adjust your nutes mix to be in safe zone, the soil Ph will be safe as well

13. Lime juice is NOT basic!!!

It is acidic, just like lemon juice.

Where the hell did you get that information?

Wet

14. No, adjusting the pH of the solution is temporary at best. It will not change your soil's pH long term.

Wet

15. #15 bosey, Jun 25, 2011
    This. Lime juice has a pH of ~3. dolomite lime = limestone not the limes we eat. Big difference.

16. so if i just watered today with nuts when can i flush because my ph runoff is in the low 5's