rainwater

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by alscott3130, Aug 21, 2021.

1. i got a 55 gallon drum and ive been using rain water to water indoor in my living soil. i figured its living soil and if you did it outside itd be the same thing. given that i dont check tds hardly ever or ph my water because thats what living soil is for. the only thing i did notice is a slightly noticeable off hue to the water. but i usually use it after it rains heavy or goes into the barrel within a few days the rest is for outdoor use, i figure the water aerates itself when the rain continues filling itmuch like an airstone, and that color is most likely iron oxide. so far ive noticed an increase in health of my plants and my compost tea brews quicker than with ro or other type of stuff. plus its free. i mean i understand "pollutants" whatever. rain falls out of the sky thats what it does. garden vegetables taste really good, and do well. i dont see why it wouldnt be decent to use every other watering or so. so far ive done it 3 times in a row, and last did a compost tea with 2 gallons rain water to 2 gallons ro water. plants actually seemed like they were getting starved from ro style waters and that type of watering, and now they are getting more soil life and more nutrients/minerals. you can nit pick all day about pollutants but i think its still higher quality than using something like general hydroponics start to finish

2. Also have to consider it's really not the same as being outside. Your plants are indoors in pots. Yes you're using " living soil " ( explain more ) what kind of soil and what's included within it. Outdoors plants would have a plethora of organic matter with nature working together. In a pot it's organic however still doesn't copy outdoor ground grows. Rain is acidic, in ground it has the whole ground to absorb it teeming with microbes, and worms among other things. Completely different. I'd atleast get a blue lab soil ph pen to monitor from time to time.

I grow organically still use that soil ph pen atleast once a grow, always better to be safe than sorry. Growing cannabis or anything really best to be preventative.