Rain water vs. R.O.

Discussion in 'Growing Organic Marijuana' started by abrahamx, May 10, 2013.

1. Was thinking of getting a rain water collection system going for lots of reasons. One of them being not having to run as much ro water. Are there any pro's or con's to using rain water insted of ro?

2. #2 janemba, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2013
    rain water can pull toxins out of the air, but i wouldnt worry bout that, i love it when it rains, dont have to water my vegetable garden. it also pulls nitrogen out of the air feeding certain beneficials. and its more ecologically friendly.
    storing rain water long term can let it go stagnant. u can aerate it to keep O2 lvls up, or kill bacteria with chemicals like bleach or H2O2.
    or you can go the expensive rate, like running it through O3 generator or ultra violet light to kill bacteria.
    RO water is free of toxins and bacteria, any TDS that is in the water is usually cal mag and is at low lvls. can store for a long time without treating it.
    you waste a lot of water making it.
    replacement filters can be expensive.
    if you do go with rain water, a cheap and easy filter to keep it potable is a bio filter.
    a biofilter is basically running water through a light proof catchment filled with sand, u can also mix in charcoal. what happens is bacteria's catch them selfs on sand particles. and die off in the filter.
    they are very easy to make. youtube them

3. watch out its illegal to collect rain water in some places now

edit: googled it

Utah Washington Colorado its illegal

4. thevines - Isn't Oregon illegal as well?

5. yes i believe so

6. Catch me if you can!!! Lol that's fucking rediculous!

7. Yea, I heard that. I will yahoo it also.

8. I just checked that and am struggling to understand :confused:  how can it be :eek: its Rain FFs .what ever next the rain police :cry: who owns the rain ? Im baked and maybe rambling but what next the suntan swat squad raiding the beaches . :yay: The whole world is crazy ..

9. I've used rain water in place of RO water in my grows whenever I can and have never seen any negative effects. I prefer to use whatever is easy and free if possible. Don't dwell in the difference between RO water and rainwater; I honestly don't think that there is much of a difference.

10. The big difference is that RO water is expensive and rain water is free. They both do the exact same job and one costs more - and is very wasteful.

J

11. nestle and coca cola own the rights to water in many places(cities/states sold them the water LOL)

then they bottle it, infect it with cancer and sell it back to you

12. be careful about roof-collected water. some are treated with arsenic n shit to prevent mold.