Rain Water Bacteria? White strands?!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Vox Continental, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Alright so Iv'e been aerating this Rainwater I collected thats been sitting a few days and now I see these white strands in the water... not sure what it is, is it bacteria of some kind? Could it be bad for me or my plants? Its the same kind of white strands you see when you let something holding water sit for a really really long time.

Could it be good? Does it matter?

2. Considering that most plants grow by rain water, I'd say it's alright. Then again, if you've had it for a month without a light proof container, it will probably grow algae and the sorts.

People drank water out of streams for millions of years, I doubt it's harmful to you. Unless, of course, it's stagnant.

3. Thats what im saying. maybe it is stagnant, question is, could it be bad. It was stagnant, then I was aerating it.

4. I have used rain water for some time...... never had a problem with it but I never dared let it stagnate.... can't you just get some new one and store it in a better way(like keeping a small acquarium pump in it) ?

5. Put a few drops of hydrogen peroxide in and an airstone. The hydrogen peroxide will kill everything and evaporate overnight with the airstone in it and should keep it from getting stagnant again. Just my thought but I haven't tried it. Works for brewing tea and re-introducing beneficial bacteria back into it after peroxide has evaporated

6. I have an air stone in it with a small pump and one a little larger blowing the air in it, theres about two gallons of water, still just a few drops?

7. Why would you never dare let it stagnate?

8. Mosquitos or other similar bugs can lay larvae which are probably the little white strands he is talking about. If you can't keep it covered and moving bacteria does start to thrive.

9. Have you ever seen a stagnate pond filled with algae with water that looks like it has about 100 gallons of green food coloring? Same idea, smaller scale.

10. Right I know, im asking why that would be a bad thing..

Oh and update: HOLY SHIT so I got some tweezers and pulled one of the fuckers out, IT MOVES! I though it was like bacteria growing around a piece of hair or something that fell in (Maybe it is) but I saw the tail ish part, and it moved! Can someone explain what the hell is in there? Im dumping this shit out, waiting for the next rain, my girls can be a little under watered watered if it comes down to it.

11. Thanks for the reply, maybe that answers my question, does aerating it with an airstone help with keeping the bacteria down (Except in an AACT) or the mosquitoes down?

12. How long would you keep it for? I really dont want to use council water cause the chlorine.

13. Dump that water and use bleach to disinfect your container. You don't want that larvae ending up in your soil.

14. Ha, oh man Im worried I watered with that water before.. dont remember though, I did, dumped and cleaned with a bunch of hydrogen peroxide, scrubbed it down,

Wish I knew more about mushrooms, bacteria, all the sorts ya know?

Hah Jimmy Jackson, love the quotes, what a great show, BETTER CALL SAUL!

15. If you're really worried you can give your soil a good soak with a little neem mixed in with water.

BETTER CALL SAUL!

16. What are your thoughts on Diatamaeceaous Eaeaurth? (too many vowels,can never spell it right)

17. I've never used it but from what I have read you put a layer of it on top of your soil and it cuts the bugs before they reach the surface. To be honest it sounds like a cheap gimmick for sand. You can just put a layer of sand on top of your soil and it will not allow the bugs to crawl up to the surface. I also haven't used sand. I did a neem flush today after noticing something nearly microscopic wiggling in my runoff.

18. I know it got rid of a small case of spider mites I had, I heard that they slice them like razor blades or some shit?! Some people have put small amounts in their soil, was wondering WHY anyone would do this? Its basically just silicon dioxide if that helps.

19. How much neem do you add per gallon of water (that has all the shit im trying to get rid of hah)

20. 5 tablespoons to 3 gallons.